Saturday, June 30, 2018

Sulphur Creek

There are only so many ways to stay cool in the middle of the desert in southern Utah, luckily we were camping not far from a stream which gave us the chance to go splash!  

No shoes now, was not a problem at all.

I thought we'd just find a wide section of the river and wade with our ankles.  I was shocked when we walked up river far enough to find a natural water slide!  Rats, now I wish I had worn my swimming suit too!  Cambrie and McKenzie were the first ones to test it out.  When they didn't complain about sore bottoms or a shallow landing, we decided that we'd send the other kids too.  



They went up and down the waterslide a few times before venturing farther upstream.  I couldn't really see what was above the ridge but it looked like they were having fun.  Well, Daxton being Daxton, he didn't want to be left out and screamed to follow his siblings.  I helped him up (those rocks were crazy slippery), and was pleasantly surprised to see a series of smaller waterfalls that were perfectly Daxton-sized.  The kid went non-stop.  



When the bigger kids laid down on the rocks to warm up a bit, he followed suit, but then was right back to the waterfalls.  

We had a kid-ferrying system to get him from the bottom of the slide to the top:  I pulled him out of the water then handed him up to my mom on an upper ledge, who handed him off to Alan who was closer to the start of the slide.  It worked really well, and then the adults weren't slipping all over the place.  I forgot to bring a swimming diaper so the kid was just in his normal Huggies.  It was sooo saturated his swimming suit wouldn't even stay on his body.  I left it on for awhile just to give him some padding on those rocks, but eventually it was better to just take it off.  Words of advice: don't toss highly saturated diapers unless you want a fun cleaning job.  

Even Andrew came and joined the party.  

Peter was a kid-ferrier for a bit until he slipped and went tumbling into the large pool.  Even though he wasn't planning on swimming, he was wet anyway.  I loved it because I could almost count the splashing as the kids' baths for the day!

Hanging out with Grandma.

At the beginning of the trail.  I guess laying in sand kind of negates their baths huh?  So much for clean kids!

No comments: