Thursday, October 12, 2023

Pele's Bath

Jeremy's here!  It isn't Kona without him.  This is definitely and "us" experience and even though I've been having a blast doing all sorts of neat things, it just isn't the same.  After I picked him up from the airport we didn't go back to the room, instead we went exploring.  Remember how I was trying to find unique things this trip?  Well, one of those things was Pele's Bath.  It is a lava tube near the shore where you can watch the waves rise and fall.  But part of the fun was finding it.  I had a GPS coordinate and was surprised that it was down in the Energy Lab.  We parked the car and went exploring.  It was a surprisingly short walk from the car.  I don't know if it was the cloud cover and the lighting or if it is always that beautiful, but we spent 45 minutes there watching the water go up and down.  We were hesitant to stand too close at the beginning but overcame our fears and stood right on the edge.  When a particularly large swell came in and the bath overflowed, we expected to be pulled back into the hole.  But it was the strangest sensation!  The water bubbled up but had zero pull back down.  I almost fell in trying to overcompensate for the current that wasn't there.  It was a great find.
 




Jeremy also brought out the rest of the cheering squad.


No comments: