I had the coolest opportunity to go out to Kona early to train. Jocelyn invited me to stay at her friend's house with her two weeks before the race and I decided to take her up on the offer. It meant leaving my kids for two and a half weeks while I did everything I could to prepare for Kona. I wasn't exactly sure how everyone would fair, but we decided to make it work-and they did so well. I didn't realize when Jocelyn said there was an extra room that this house would be so incredible! It is up the hill which meant it was away from the hustle and bustle of race prep, cooler during the day, and generally just an amazing property! The first morning I woke up before the sun and simply sat on the back lanai watching the moon. Yes, this is the moon and this is my view. I spent as much time as I could out on the lanai-PT, General Conference, meals, and relaxing. It was by far my favorite place there.
Check out the sunrise!
Check out the sun sets! I mean seriously, you couldn't go wrong out there.
The pool wasn't large but it was a perfect place to cool off after a long, hard, hot workout. My favorite this to do was float and drink my smoothie.
I made a new friend while I was out there, Rebecca Clarke. She is a pro from New Zealand who also needed a place to stay for a few extra days. At first I was apprehensive about what it would be like having three of us share the space and not wanting to intrude on another pro's race prep. I didn't have to worry. Becs was incredible. She was easy going, friendly, and really great to chill with between training sessions. If I ever need a place to stay near Waneka I have one.
One downside to living on a tropical island are all of the creatures. Some of them made me laugh-like the turkeys that sometimes prevented me from getting into my car. Some made me crazy-like the nocturnal chorus that kept me awake all night. Some creeped me out-like the cockroaches on the floor and the centipedes in the shower.
But sometimes there is enough beauty to outweigh those pesky things, like a rainbow view like this and the fact I got to train in paradise!
And I can't believe that I don't have a picture of Jocelyn and I. It was her generosity that allowed me stay and I am so thankful for that. She had big goals this year and spent hours each day chasing them. Honestly, besides General Conference we didn't spend much time together. Between training, recovering, interviews, and other pro responsibilities she was busy!












No comments:
Post a Comment