I've always wanted to train like this to see how I would respond. My sole responsibilities were to train, recover and eat. I didn't have to wear every hat (mom, wife, teacher, neighbor, etc.), I just got to be an athlete. I typically woke up early because of the time zone change and just waited for the sun to rise so I could get started. I did a lot of training rides on Queen K. That iconic road used to intimidate me. I have had more flat tires on this course than any other. I have never experienced more consistent winds than on this road. I have never biked anywhere as hot and barren as this route. But something changed this visit, I grew to love this road. I didn't have to spend crazy amounts of time planning my route or choosing the safest ride, it was already laid out for me. I grew to appreciate the stark lava rocks, the tufts of grass, and the few scattered trees with the pink blossoms. If I was lucky I would see a herd of wild goats. By the time race day arrived I knew every landmark, every climb, every descent, every pothole, and every watering hole. It was so awesome. Early on in my trip the only riders out there were other pro women. I saw Taylor Knibb, Chelsea Sodaro, and Lucy Charles out there. Most of the time I would be a quick wave like an equal. It was kind of cool being seen by these speedy women.
I only did one open water swim prior to the race, and that was a full distance swim out on the course with Jocelyn. Every other day I went down to the Kona Community Center with all the other athletes and locals. There were twelve lanes to choose from. It was free. It was close. And it was so great to get in with all these other fabulous swimmers. Watching the sun rise while swimming in those lanes just made me so happy.
When I wanted to run I mixed things up a bit. One day I ran 24 miles on the high school track. Yes, 24 miles around a track. I didn't pull out my phone to take a picture, I was too busy eating, drinking and sweating. I ran down in the Energy Lab to remember just how far down the turn around is and how long of a climb it is back out. I ran down at the Old Kona Airport on the dilapidated runway. I ran down Ali'i trying to envision myself there during the race. Running is where I felt the humidity the most. Thankfully I had this time to figure out my nutrition and let my body adapt to the heat. By the time race day arrived I didn't even feel uncomfortable anymore.
When it was time to recover, my preferred method was finding a shady place on the beach to nap. The beach down by the Energy Lab, Wawaloli Beach had the best sand and the best tree for that. I know I can't train like that all the time. I know I have real life waiting for me back home, but honestly being able to escape like this and be just myself for awhile was incredible.














No comments:
Post a Comment