One of the holiday traditions in my family is going to see the Nutcracker with my Stratford cousins. I loved it because it was a special mom/daughter time. I loved it because I got to dress up in fancy clothes and go to a fancy theater. I loved it because I felt all grown-up. And I loved it because the ballerinas were so much fun to watch spin and spin and spin. I've been anxiously waiting until Cambrie would be old enough to sit through the entire ballet and actually enjoy it. This year I decided to give it a shot, and I'm so glad I did. I've been telling her that we would be going for a couple of weeks to get her excited and to give her something to look forward to. When it was time to go today I asked her to go put on some fancy clothes and miraculously she didn't complain at all about getting dressed.
When we got to the theater she was very excited because almost every other audience member was a young girl Cambrie's age, or their mom bringing them to the show. It was a perfect situation. I had explained the story of the Nutcracker to her before we got there so she would know what was going on, and she really did a good job of following the story. When the mice king showed up she shivered in fear and she was all smiles when the Nutcracker won the battle. She was actually disappointed when it was time for the intermission because she wanted to story to keep going. Out in the lobby they had Nutcracker memorabilia for sale...and I just couldn't say no since she was having such a good time. I decided it would become part of the tradition. Each girl will get a Nutcracker doll at her first performance. Cambrie hasn't let go of her Nutcracker since we bought it this afternoon.
The second half of the ballet went quickly and too soon it was over. Cambrie groaned when the lights turned back on and asked if we could do it again next year. Then she gave me a great big hug and told me that it was the "best day ever." Now that makes a mom's heart melt. After the performance they let the kids come up onto the stage and taught them the bon-bon dance.
Cambrie was one of the first ones up there, but became shy very quickly and didn't want to do the dance after all. She came back down the stairs after a few minutes and told me that she didn't want to "shake her booty." That got a good laugh. So maybe a career in the ballet isn't for her, but I still think we'll enjoy going to watch the ballet year after year.
No comments:
Post a Comment