It has been a week of water play! We pulled the boat out of the garage and took it down to Hyrum dam. It was a small crew which meant that we had plenty of time for teaching kids how to ski! Yippee! Daxton started out on the trainer tube. He decided to stand up for the first time ever and was doing pretty well until he started tipping sideways. He didn't know how to correct himself and ended up falling in. It was his first time crashing into the lake and was pretty panicked about it until he realized that his life jacket was doing its job.

I was really proud of him because he went back out again towards the end of the night and while he spent most of the time sitting down, he did stand up for a little bit.

The kids have been boating a lot with the Kings this season. However, they have only been learning how to surf not ski. I told McKenzie that now she's 11 she needs to learn how to water ski because it's a Johnson family tradition. She wasn't too keen on the idea but we threw her in the water anyway. I jumped in with her to help her get her positioning right, and accidentally bumped her ski into her face. Oops. As she was trying to recover from that the boat got into position and we were ready to go. Even as she was saying, "I'm not ready. I'm not ready." I told my mom to "Hit it!" and she was off. She popped up the very first time. She was so surprised that she stopped complaining. She didn't just pop up, she kept going. My mom pulled her around in three huge circles around me, and McKenzie just kept going. She finally hit a bump she couldn't handle and fell down. I helped her get up one more time, just as easily, and this time she wandered out of the wake. She had no idea how to control the skis to get her back inside and immediately fell down. The third time we decided that she was capable enough to do it on her own. Sure enough she doesn't need any help from me anymore. She even admitted that even though she thought skiing was going to be boring, it was a lot of fun.


I wanted Kelton to have turn learning how to ski too. He wanted a warm up on the tube. He was so comfortable out there and kept making the silliest faces. I have no idea what the goofball was singing to himself but he was having a great time!

We strapped the little wooden skis onto his feet and I jumped in the water with him. His legs aren't as strong as McKenzie's and he had a harder time getting up. On his third or fourth attempt he got up long enough to say that he got up, and then fell down. We'll keep working on it but I was so proud of him. I was crazy proud of all of the kids for learning something new.


I also was finally able to get in the water and ski myself. The water was rough and I didn't stay out long, but it was a good reminder that I could still get up and have fun out there.

Even when they weren't being pulled behind the boat, the kids had just as much fun jumping in the lake and swimming around. I love those smiles!


No comments:
Post a Comment