This year the church put a giving machine in Denver. As soon as I heard about it I was really excited, and knew I wanted to take our kids down there. I looked online to see some of the things that were available for donations and knew the kids would like it. The kids have been earning money the last couple of weeks so they could take it down and buy something themselves. When we got down there they were overwhelmed by their choices. There were tutoring sessions, clean water, meals, chickens, pigs, and a dozen other things that they could donate to others. The kids were really excited to buy a pig but it cost more than any of them had, so they decided to combine all of their money to get a pig. I ended up buying some clean water for a family. And Jeremy got excited about the toilet worm - I don't even know what that means!
There was a choir down there singing Christmas hymns in Franklin Square. Even though the actual giving did not take very long we didn't really want to leave because it was such a great atmosphere down there.
I'm glad my kids felt so happy about spending their hard-earned money on ways to serve other people. I hope the giving machines compared to Denver again next year.



No comments:
Post a Comment