We have been blessed with so much that we decided to do something a little bit different at the Rogers family gift exchange this year. Instead of getting cousin gifts and sibling gifts we decided to take all that money and put it towards a service project instead. We put together sack lunches at the Rogers' home. We had an assembly lines to decorate the bags, made sandwiches and filled the bags with drinks, granola bars and treats.
We loaded the cars and drove into Salt Lake to see if we could find some groups of homeless people who looked like they could use a little lunch that day. We ended up near the county building and the library where there were a lot of homeless people camped out. I was a little nervous, but I couldn't have been more proud of my kids. They each took a bag in each of their hands and without question without hesitation and without looking to me to give them some courage, they dashed off to start giving sandwiches away to everyone they saw. They ran up smile and a "Merry Christmas" before handing the lunch to them. Then they quickly came back looking for, more anxious to help as many people as they could.
When we ran out my kids were really disappointed. When we talked to the kids afterwards about how they felt I think I was most touched by Kelton's answer. He said it made him feel really good inside. I know that's a very simplistic explanation but I was really touched. I'm proud of my kids for being anxious to serve and help this season, as well as being a good example to me.



No comments:
Post a Comment