Sunday, October 1, 2017

General Conference

I realized that this was the first time we've been home for general conference in over a year!  So when we woke up Sunday morning and I told the kids that I was making conference crepes for breakfast, they responded, "What are conference crepes?"  Gasp!  My kids had forgotten about the deliciousness that I only make twice a year...parenting fail right there.  Luckily for them, I made a mistake with the batter and ended up making a quadruple batch!  We had crepes all day long and filled them with Nutella, strawberries, bananas, yogurt, apples, cinnamon, and powdered sugar.  It was a tasty way to fill our bellies before we filled our spirits.  

One conference tradition that my kids hadn't forgotten were the keyword snacks.  We fill up a dozen bowls with snacks: crackers, strawberries, pretzels, Skittles, and when they hear a corresponding word they get to eat one thing from that bowl.  

McKenzie made most of the labels for us.

This year they listened to the entire afternoon session of conference on bouncing balls.  I don't think I'd call it reverent, but they were listening so I'll call it a win.  

I feel like the entire "theme" of the conference was encouragement: encouragement to act as one, encouragement to not become discouraged with our own inadequacies, encouragement to continue pressing forward in faith, encouragement to hope, encouragement to serve, encouragement to continue on when things get tough.  Our apostles don't want us to sell ourselves short of what we are capable of accomplishing.  I finished listening to the last speaker feeling like I can do this.  President Monson wasn't doing well and watched the whole conference from his home.  Elder Hales actually passed away Sunday right after the morning session.  These men have given their entire lives to serving the Lord and it's incredible what they have been able to accomplish in their lives.  Thinking of them makes me think I can do better, and I think this quote from Elder Uchtdorf helps too.

No comments: