With all of those trips to the pumpkin patch this year we had our hand full carving pumpkins this year.
I admit, I was a little nervous about Cambrie's being sooo big. I didn't know how thick the flesh was going to be and how difficult it would be to carve. It turns out that I was right to be worried. This was a demon pumpkin. I have never before carved skin so tough! Pumpkin carving knives? Please, this sucker needed a butcher knife and a lot of muscles.
I was really grateful that Cambrie chose a design with so many straight lines because if it had been something more intricate, there's no way we could have carved that beast!
She designed a pumpkin prison, and Daxton's pumpkin was just the right size to sit inside. His pumpkin on the other hand carved as easily as butter. Bless you easy pumpkin.
Jeremy helped Daxton work on his Jake pumpkin. Kelton did a lot of the work this year and was the kid who complained the most about the slimy pumpkin seeds.
McKenzie chose a vampire bat. She on the other hand was looking for the slimiest pumpkins to clean out. I helped with some of the detail carving, but she did a really great job wielding that pumpkin knife.
Jeremy went all out with a Dia de los Muertos skull. When we have our colorful light inside it looks pretty incredible!
Once all of the kids' pumpkins were done, it was finally time for me to start carving mine. While I was deciding on a design I heard a thump....yes, that was my pumpkin that splattered on the floor. I was relieved it wasn't one of the kids' that they had worked so hard on. However it meant that I needed to change my plans. It was cracked almost all the way around, and there was no really good way to keep it put together as I carved. I decided to go with plan Z, just scratch a crazy farmer face in it, complete with his five o'clock shadow.
Ultimately they all ended up looking fantastic, and we manage to tackle all six of them!















No comments:
Post a Comment