Friday, October 27, 2017

Trunk or Treat

Time for the annual ward trunk or treat.  Getting the kids dressed in their costumes is always a slightly magical experience.  They have been anticipating these costumes for over a month.  We've tried them on, made adjustments, shopped for accessories, and the kids have imagined themselves as their characters countless times.  It is so rewarding for me as a mom to watch their faces light up as we pull it all together and it was exactly what they were hoping for.  Kelton put on his costume and shouted, "I am Catboy!  What how fast I can go with my super cat speed!" 

 McKenzie turned circles in front of my mirror smiling and admiring how beautiful she looked.  Cambrie suited up and proudly displayed her arsenal of weaponry.  Even Daxton, who has no idea what was going on, smiled and made faces at himself in the mirror.  These kids were ready to party!  

We had an Indian princess, Catboy, a nerf gun warrior, and a train conductor.  

The party was fabulous with kids and friends running around every direction.  Jeremy and I did get a couple of comments about our lack of costumes this year and I decided that we will be in costume next year!  As horrible as this may sound, I see very little of my kids during these parties.  They run off with their friends and have a good time.  Every now and then I catch a glimpse to make sure they are causing mischief, but that's about it.  



Jeremy had to help with some of the games which meant I was on my own passing out candy at least until the kids had their fill and came to help...help eat the candy anyway.  

Daxton never even made it to the next car over, but I'm sure he'll beg some candy from his siblings later.  

The trickiest part of the whole evening is rounding up the kids after the trunk or treat.  My girls hide in classrooms with their friends so they can do a candy swap.  This year they didn't kick me out so I was able to see some of their bartering in action.  Kids these days, they don't know which candy is the best candy to save!

No comments: