Monday, December 11, 2017

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

The kids absolutely love it when I pull out the Christmas decorations.  Frankly, I do too.  The house feels so cozy and warm.  I surprised myself this year and bought a tree from Costco.  I've never been so impressed by a tree!  The price was fantastic, and it looks amazing!  I was going to go the pre-lit route this year but I'm glad I didn't.  I was up late trying to get the lights taken care of so that the kids could put on their keepsake ornaments in the morning, and Daxton decided to sneak out of bed and join me.  This kid loves trains.  I mean loves trains.  He is so enthralled by the Christmas train under the tree...he actually might love to death this year.  

In the morning Kelton realized that we have a couple ornaments that are just right for making silly faces. 

 Our elf, Holly, came and gave us a new challenge this year.  Every day she has a new challenge from the "Light the World" initiative put out by the church.  The kids read the scripture and try their best to achieve the challenge of the day.  On Tuesday the kids went shopping for gifts to donate to Denver North Cares Food Pantry.  As I was trying to explain to Kelton what it was that we were doing, I explained that we were going to take our presents to one of Santa's helpers who would then give the toys to other kids.  When Kelton heard that we were meeting one of Santa's real helpers he had a huge magical grin on his face.  I've been very impressed with how the kids have been doing so far this month.  

Jeremy's Christmas job is hanging up the Christmas lights.  I didn't get a picture of Kelton up there helping him this year, but I like how Jeremy looks like he's scaling our house.

  Our ward Christmas part this year was a lot of fun.  We ate breakfast then the primary kids put on a program for us.  Intermixed with their songs the adults in the audience played the bells.  For future reference, Daxton should not be in charge of a critical bell.  We finished off with another service project.  The ward put together 150 sack lunches for a teen homeless shelter.  We whipped those things out like lightning!  

Kelton's preschool did a big program in the library auditorium.  Each class performed one song, and his class sang one about New Years.  His class did a great job singing the lyrics along with all of the choreography.  He looked like he was having a blast up there performing.  

I tried to get a picture of him afterwards, but he was being a cheeseball and wouldn't give me a proper smile!  

As we were shopping for Christmas gifts we saw that the train was running around the Orchard.  Well, we couldn't disappoint Daxton and the four of us took a ride.  I love how this picture turned out: cheerful, festive, simple, and satisfying.  Here's to a great holiday season!

No comments: