Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Staples for a noggin'

We have not been short on adventures around here lately.  Here's our latest: As I was getting ready for the day I heard Kelton crying downstairs.  It wasn't a super distressed cry but I decided to go check it out anyway.  I walked downstairs and saw Kelton holding his hand to head with blood pouring between his fingers and down his arm.  Ah!  What happened?!  All I could gather from between his cries was that he fell off the couch.  They climb all the time and this is really the first time he's ever fallen.  I cleaned the wound but had a hard time getting a good look at it because his hair was in the way.  There was a lot of blood, but head wounds always bleed so it wasn't really the best indicator of if we were headed to the ER or not.  I called Jeremy, who was on his way to work, and decided that I would rather be safe than sorry.  I put both boys in the car (still in their pj's) hopped in myself (wet hair and all), and drove to the emergency room (without eating breakfast).  
They were quick to treat Kelton, but every step still took time.  They gave him some Tylenol then some topical to numb his wound.  As we waited for the medicine to kick in we watched Daniel Tiger's neighborhood, and enjoyed some juice brought in by the nurse.

  Kelton was surprisingly really cheerful during this time.  He was smiling, being goofy, and was happy he had a new friend with him, Fish Person That Can Swim (killer name right?).  The nurse brought it in for him.  The saline solution they used to clean the wound was cold.  Kelton did not like that at all.  They gave him a heated blanket and he was in heaven.  He asked for another one just because he could.  After the wound was cleaned it was obvious that it needed to be stitched up and I felt a lot better about dragging everyone down.  The doctor wanted to use staples, which meant she had to give Kelton some more injections to control the pain.  That was definitely the worst part of the whole trip for him.  The staples didn't even make him flinch.  He now has three in the back of his head and thinks it's pretty cool.  They don't hurt him or bother him at all.  

When we got home we decided that making cookies seemed like a good reward for a boy who had been so brave.  He chose shape cookies and you might be able to see that we made pumpkins, bats, Christmas trees, hearts, Easter eggs, bones, flowers, gingerbread boys, and XO's.  It was a little haphazard but he didn't care.  He was in charge of sprinkles and had a blast.  

Up at the school he told his sisters that he cracked his head open today.  The girls thought he was just telling stories and were more than a little surprised that he really did.  They don't seem to think his staples are as cool as he does though.  Ask and he'll tell you all about how the doctor gave him staples to close his cracked head.

No comments: