Sunday, August 27, 2017

Breckenridge Spartans

Where we do Ironman, our friends in the ward do Spartan.  They invited us up to Breckenridge this weekend to race with them.  Jeremy had his Risas' retreat so he couldn't race; I had signed up but because of my ankle I couldn't race; the kids, however, were healthy and available so we went up anyway.  The Skinners booked a cabin that was large enough to fit all of us (Skinners, Mortensens, Schramms, Davidsons, Nielsons, Werners, Nielsons' cousins, and Todd).  It was a wild, wild party.  The kids were in absolute heaven because they had so many friends to run around with. They would show up for snacks, or to ask if they could get back in the hot tub, but for the most part they entertained themselves for two days.  Two bedrooms were set aside as the sleepover rooms and the girls thought that was the best part.  I have no idea what time the kids actually fell asleep.  None of the adults slept well, but our late night card games may have contributed to that.  

How many kids can you fit in one hot tub?

Look at those girls' cute bed head!  They are all exactly the same.  That whiteboard kept everyone happy for hours.  It was a miracle.

The morning of the race was odd for me, I didn't have an athlete to track!  We walked up with everyone else to join in the excitement and to get the kids ready for their race. 

Waiting... 

Show me your muscles!

The men folk were so fast that we missed half of them crossing the finish line which was too bad.  But they all finished in time to watch the kiddos go.  The one milers went first.

  They had to do two laps of the course, so we were able to watch them almost the whole way.  Cambrie did fantastic.  She stayed with Brynlee who was having trouble because her leg was bothering her.  (Good job sweetie!)  


When it was time for the half-mile race I was a little nervous.  Not for McKenzie because she's a pro, but for Kelton.  I know he's capable of doing each of the obstacles but how would he do if something went wrong?  


I handed Daxton over to a very tired Brandon Nielson so I could follow Kelton just in case.  I had nothing to worry about.  Before I knew it he had launched himself over three different walls.  


About half-way through he turned around and said, "Mom, I got this!  Go away!"  I laughed as I pulled away to watch him finish.  

All of the kids love their new medals, but Kelton is a little obsessed.  He wore his non-stop the rest of the trip.  We had a hard time getting him to take it off for the hot tub.  

Here are all of the kids.  What an awesome, awesome group of friends!  

The women folk supporting their families.  

And my amazing crew.  Even though I didn't race, I had so much fun.  

Before we left we checked out the ninja warrior set up.  Cambrie figured out the stepping stones and was one of the few who could do them.  

Kelton wanted to try even though he's a bit small.  

McKenzie had the slack line down pat.  Daxton just wanted to climb and do it all.  

Even though we had to walk back to our cabin, Kelton was on cloud nine and didn't complain about being tired once. What a trooper!  What a weekend!

No comments: