Saturday, March 19, 2011

Canyonlands Half Marathon

This weekend I ran the Canyonlands Half Marathon down in Moab with my friends, Vanessa and Lindsay.  I had been sick the week before and wasn't feeling totally trained, but I figured it would be a fun adventure to run this race with these girls.  We stayed in a cute little bungalow next to the finish line, which made it sooo nice for us in the morning and for Jeremy and the girls during the race.  We boarded the buses to take us up the canyon around 8:00.  When we got to the top we were surrounded by thousands of other racers.  They were perched up on the rocks, they were relaxing down by the river, and a lot of them were standing in line for one last trip to the bathroom.  It was windy up there, and pretty cold.  We were anxious to start the race and had vicious butterflies in our stomachs, but still had to wait until the 10:00 start time.  The wind didn't help my nerves at all, because it would be a head wind for the entire race.  We eventually had to drop off our gear bags...which meant no more jackets or pants.  All three of us were huddled in one little fleece blanket that Vanessa planned on dropping right before the gun went off.  With only a few minutes left I found a shirt someone had already discarded and used that for the first mile or so of the race until I warmed up. 

When it was finally time to get the race started, the herd of people slowly moved down the canyon.  We all jostled for position while trying to figure out our pace.  I knew what I wanted my pace to be, and immediately started out at that speed.  What a mistake.  It was too fast, too soon, and only three miles into the race I started having breathing problems.  I took my inhaler hoping to keep my breathing under control but still keep my pace up.  About mile five I knew that my race was over.  I needed a puff of my inhaler every mile.  And if I went any faster than a 8:45 pace, I started having mini-asthma attacks.  About that same time I started walking during the water stations.  Then I started walking while I took my inhaler.  Then I started walking whenever I just couldn't do it anymore.  About mile seven, my only goal was just to finish the race.  My lungs felt like they should be fitting into the rib cage of a small rodent.  I just couldn't get enough air and my legs felt like lead.  I was so disappointed.  I had hoped for a time of 1:45.  As I watched my pace drop to a 9:30, then 10:00 min/mile, I was hoping for a 2:00 finish time, then just to finish without looking too pathetic.  I saw my family around mile 10.  It was so encouraging to see them, but this dreadful pose was the only way I could communicate with them how I was feeling.  I didn't want them to feel disappointed in my race, and feel cheated out of their time.  But I just couldn't muster up any more energy. 


The canyon we ran in was gorgeous...but I'm afraid I didn't get to enjoy it.  I was much more excited to see the finish line.  I finally crossed the finish line with a time of 2:04.48. 

I need to redeem myself.  I need to train harder and to get in better shape.  I just need to be better prepared.  Of course, those are all of my thoughts now.  Then, I was just content to be done. 

I am very grateful for my family and their support of me during and after my race.  Cambrie was happy to see me run, and even happier to see the chocolate-chip cookie that I couldn't finish :)  Thanks Mom, Alan, Hannah, Ryan, Jeremy, Cambrie, and even McKenzie for cheering me on. 

2 comments:

Angela said...

You're awesome Annette! I hate it when races fall apart- I'm afraid I've had too many of my own. It's disappointing after so much time and effort, not to mention the travel. But you are amazing, and have done so many awesome races I have no doubt you'll be right back at it- maybe even a Boston marathon the end of the summer? :)

jor johnson said...

Ahh! What a bummer but don't be hard on yourself! You can only control so much when it comes to breathing & asthma, your time was great as is and Amazing considering the circumstances and hopefully this will be your one race this year that didn't go as planned and the rest will all go better then planned!! You look great and super buff in all the pictures :)