Touring by myself if very different than touring with Jeremy. If Jeremy had been able to come we would have been hiking mountains, rafting down rivers, bungee jumping, and biking mountain trails. However, without an adventure buddy I needed to choose slightly safer activities since I didn't have anyone to rescue me if things went wrong. I was still able to see and experience a lot that I haven't yet in New Zealand, and that is a win.
My three hour layover cruising in LAX
Beautiful sunsets from my front porch
Huka Falls. Still so inspired by the power within this water.
The lava glass sculpture garden. I don't know why we missed this before, but I loved the vibrant colors and playfulness here.
Watching the glass blowers hard at work.
Took a little time for a massage and a soak at the Wairakei Terraces. That was a great way to relax after a long weekend of traveling.
Huka Honey Hive checking out the bees and fresh honey.
Glow worm cave tour. Last time Jeremy and I chose the high adventure black rafting option. This time I went for the tamer tourist version. The Waitomo Cave was stunning. Our tour guide is Maori and sang us a traditional Maori song in the cathedral. That was truly special to hear her sing in there. The end of the tour took us on a boat, which we rode in complete darkness to admire the glowworms on the ceiling. I've said it before and I'll say it again, glowworms are magical. It feels like you're floating among the stars. It's almost an out of body kind of experience. (No photos in the cave, so this is my best reenactment.)
I visited an aviary and saw kiwis (once again, no photography in their darkened enclosure, so this is all I have). There were two kiwis in that enclosure, and it was tough to see them. It was easiest to spot their beaks first as they stabbed at the ground, then you could connect that to their larger, darker body. I know it's a little thing but I loved seeing a real kiwi.
Lake Taupo. From my Airbnb I could see the mountains and volcanos on the other side of the lake, and it was a daily reminder of the power and beauty of nature here. When it was time to leave, I didn't want to. I sat by the lake for about ten minutes just trying to soak it all up. Who knows when I'll be able to come back. It's such a special place.




















No comments:
Post a Comment