Tuesday, December 31, 2024

Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon

Curious as to where all of those ice chunks on the beach come from?  They come from Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon.  The lagoon is formed by the retreat of the Vatnajokull ice cap, and these are all chunks of ice from that ice cap.  They float out of the lagoon and into sea where the warmer water slowly melts them.  My favorite part of seeing these mini icebergs were the colors of blue in them.  Stunning, cold, brilliant teal colors.  The sun was so low on the horizon that we couldn't capture the direct light on them to really highlight them.  It felt like whenever I looked out into the lagoon I saw another stunning shape and shade of ice.










Yet somehow with these magnificent creations, the kids took more pictures of this little hopping bird than the icebergs in the lagoon. Kids are funny.

Glacier Lagoon Memories

Daxton: The glaciers were so cool. I kind of wanted to jump down onto the glaciers.

Kelton: I wanted to go down on the ice and run around. The birds were adorable.

No comments: