Saturday, December 28, 2024

Gullfoss Waterfall

I was able to rouse the troops for one stop and that was at Gullfoss waterfall.  We knew it was going to be cold in Iceland and we came with all the layers, but this first day was rough since we didn't have a system in place yet to get all of our cozy clothes on.  And while the temperatures were what we were used to in Colorado, the humidity changed everything and made 20 degrees feel like -10 degrees.  You'll never see me with fewer than six layers on, the boys had three to four, and the girls actually admitted it was cold enough to wear their winter coats.  That's when you know it's cold!  

Gullfoss was huge and powerful!  It was a double-tiered situation and each tier had it's own beauty.  I haven't spent much time around frozen waterfalls and the slush reminded me of the slush left over in a root beer float cup.



Smile my sleeping beauties!

The first of many pictures we'll have of Iceland frozen tundra!



At least it was warm in the gift shop.  We saw fur apparel for sale everywhere and McKenzie discovered that she looks pretty fabulous in fancy hats like this.

This is a road-trip kind of vacation, so each night we stayed at different lodging. Some of them were more comfortable than others, but they all had a different vibe.  This first place (where we could finally lay down on a flat bed to sleep), was a guesthouse for the horse handlers on this property.  It was pretty bare bones, but they did have strawberry infusions to drink to warm up us before bed

Gullfoss Memories

Annette: I was wide awake and ready to be amazed.  I had the widest grin on my face because everywhere I looked I saw something beautiful.  This first waterfall was incredible.  I am so excited to see all of them!

Cambrie: I was very sleepy.  I had just woken up from a nap.

Jeremy: I thought we were in for an epically hard trip with how cold our first day was. It was biting cold. Sliding down the stairs was fun.  I had to find Daxton's crampon for the first, but definitely not last time.

McKenzie: I didn't like this waterfall because I was tired and didn't want to see a stupid waterfall.  I was not happy to be there right then.

Daxton: When you said there was going to more of that stuff I thought I was going to be bored.  But I liked it in the end because I liked taking pictures of everything.

Kelton: There was a giant ice slide down the stairs.

No comments: