Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Hobbledown Park

This park was recommended to us by some people in Bruce and Leesa's ward.  This is exactly the kind of place I look for when I want to take my kids somewhere fun and quirky.  I realized pretty quickly that there is a lot of Hobbledown lingo that I just wasn't familiar with, Hobblers, Professor Topplepot, Rumpletump, and Skibblers.  They have created an entire world in this park around the book, Hobbledown (which we have since purchased to read at night.  Hopefully we'll learn exactly where were were playing!)  I've definitely noticed a theme the longer we are here and exploring new places, there are mystical creatures everywhere, and I love it.  

We started exploring the park outside and found some of the animals that live there, otters, coati, and meerkats.  We watched the meerkats eat their monkey nuts and learned a little bit about their family behavior.  

What the girls liked the best however, was the sign that gave the meerkats a cuteness score of 100, a small score of 3, and a mischievous score of 95-just like Daxton.  

After the animals we found the outdoor play zone.  This was an awesome swing!  

The kids entered from the bottom hole, then crawled up inside the wicker acorn to sit while I pushed it from the outside.  When I wasn't quick enough to give it a push the girls legs would pop out from the bottom to try to give it a boost.  

At first Daxton DID NOT want to go in.  There was no way we were getting him to go inside, but after he saw me crawl in he decided to follow.  I like this face though, "Please tell me we're done in here mom..."  

The other kids loved it though.  


Next we found some inflatable jumping pillows but didn't stay too long there as it was already getting hot on our bare feet.  


The sand area would be really cool if it was completely up and running.  There are a lot of challenges set up to see if you can get water from one end of the the zone to the other.  This day the water was turned off so all the buckets just had sand in them.  But the slide was a huge hit.


Not quite what the designers had in mind bud, but I guess it works.

This is the part of the playground that made my kids gasp the most, the climbing village!  They were able to crawl around thirty feet in the air through the metal tubes.  We wandered from tower to tower through those things.  On the weekends there are also underground tunnels connecting them that the kids can wander through.  Those would have been really neat to explore.







Daxton desperately wanted to be up their with his siblings.  He insisted on climbing this cargo netting and threw a full-fledged fit when we tried taking him off of it.  We eventually compromised and I climbed up there with him to make sure he didn't go dropping off the edge.  Little stinker.


On the way back up through the park towards the inside play zone we found llamas. 

 Peacocks.  

Mama and baby ostriches.  It was so cute watching the babies making their way through the grass that was taller than they were.

Another of Daxton's favorites, the little sinks.  Also had to really bribe him to leave these.  But I absolutely love his tippy toes.

There were a lot of structures that were part of the Hobbledown story that we didn't understand at the time but were fun to look at, like Rumpletump.  

Fairies.  

Farm equipment.  


The crystallite weather forecast that is always 100% accurate.  If you can't enlarge that, it lets you know that if the crystallite is swinging, it's windy; wet, it's raining; shining, it's sunny; or if it's missing then the Skibblers took it.

Inside the play zone was just as fun for the kids.  It was a maze of soft climbing equipment, slides, and ladders.  





McKenzie and Daxton really liked the dance floor.  

The kids were super disappointed I made them leave.  Their disappointment was tampered though by the gift shop.  McKenzie found a new hedgehog to add to her collection, Mink.  Although her name may be changed after we ready the book and fall in love with some new "mysertical" characters.  


And Kelton found all of the makings of a knight.  I couldn't resist, he was just too cute to say no!

No comments: