Monday, June 26, 2017

Childhood

Adventures traveled to by train are not our only adventures.  Home is also just as exciting with these kids and their imaginations around.  Last week we had a crazy heat wave.  It was up in the 90's for three or four days, and it was toasty!  Lynda and Steven mentioned that they had a sprinkler they used for their lawn and offered to let us borrow it.  The kids had fun jumping through it, and spraying each other with the hose.  

They also let us borrow some old beach towels so the kids could dry off and hang out eating popsicles.  

Cambrie made various umbrella shade forts to give her a cool play to read.  It was just as toasty inside as outside, and if a breeze kicked up it was heavenly.  

And while this umbrella fort came a bit later, it is quite exquisite!
 

Bruce and Leesa decided to bite the bullet and order some air conditioning units, but while we waited for them to arrive we found that the coolest place inside was actually on the tile floor right in front of the fan.  It was a little nontraditional, but it worked great. 

 McKenzie used the strawberries we picked from Garsons Farm to make us a strawberry cake.  We feasted on the floor!  

Daxton beat the heat by running around with nothing on.  Tia likes to climb up into this front window so she can bark at all of the other animals passing by.  I was surprised to walk by the room and see Daxton right up there with her.  I've got another monkey on my hands.  


He is also loving playing with Kelton's train set.  He can put the track together and can spend an hour under those stairs just playing.  

Above him the girls have set up a toll booth.  I think we've been riding too many trains.  In order to get past you have to pay them in fruit, flowers, or cookies.  One or two depending on if you want a round-trip ticket or just one way.  When they have it running on laundry day they make quite a profit.

Dantley is here now, and it adds a whole new element of fun for the kids.  I think Daxton thinks he is Jeremy because he just follows D around like a little shadow.  

One afternoon the kids dressed up as knight's and ran around being slayed by Daxton.  Dax would poke them with the sword and they'd lay down dead.  All four kids were laughing so hard.  

During the game the three older ones ran up into the girls' room to hide from Daxton and Dantley wanted to see what the lock on the outside of the door did.  He locked it then suddenly realized that he couldn't unlock it.  The adults were laughing as Dantley tried every key in the lock to open it without success.  I told the girls what was going on and they started laughing too.  

  Kelton wasn't nearly as amused by the whole thing and when D finally opened the door, he came running into my arms.  

The girls strode out and rolled their eyes as they walked by.  

While the girls and I were in Paris, Kelton was invited to a birthday party.  They played games, blew bubbles, and made paper boats.  


Souvenir proof we were in Paris.  Now I don't have to borrow Bruce's while we're here!

The window by the kitchen sink overlooks the backyard and I see some silly things as I wash dishes.  Tia was really excited about something over the fence, so Cambrie picked her up so she could see over...even though Cambrie is not tall enough to make much difference.  

I also saw Cambrie running by with my umbrella.  I learned that she was trying to fly.  Ah childhood, when you think all you need is an umbrella and a big jump to fly in the backyard.  


 And when you have no cares in the world and can fall asleep on the coffee table.

No comments: