Friday, December 16, 2016

The Polar Express

All aboard the Polar Express!  Or actually should I say the Georgetown Loop Railroad?  I have seen the train in the canyon and have heard of their Christmas train with Santa Claus but always forget to book tickets.  This year...I remembered!  Since it was rather last minute, Jeremy had to work, but my mom was in town so she came with us.  It's always nice to have another adult to help with snow clothes.  On the drive up the canyon we didn't hit any traffic (weird), so we had some time to kill before getting to the train platform.  We decided to stop in Idaho Springs to see the water wheel.  This was another thing I had always wanted to stop and check out but never had an excuse to do so.  It was so pretty with the frozen waterfall.  I'm glad I can check that off my local sight-seeing bucket list.  


The kids also were able to check out an old historic narrow-track train nearby.  It definitely put us in the mood for our train ride.  

We pulled into the station and were immediately greeted with hot cocoa that was just the right temperature.  Happy kids = happy mom.

We didn't have to wait long until it was time to board.  I was feeling a little sappy and purchased the presidential car tickets for our group.  I'm go glad we did.  The sits were all upholstered benches.  

The decorations were beautiful.  

Santa Claus spent a lot of time with us.  There were Christmas carols playing over the speakers.  And we were stuffed with goodies our entire trip. 

 I think the train should be nicknamed the sweet train.  We were served juices, cookies, chips, chocolate, crackers, and more cookies.  It was just a 45 minute ride, but we ate the entire time.  Daxton has learned some skills about how to take care of himself, and once he saw those cookies he would not let go.  My mom had a crumbly, delicious, mess all over herself because of that boy.  


We could not have planned our trip better.  There was a light snow falling all morning, and the views from the window were so picturesque.  Cambrie was a little nervous when we drove over the trestle, it is 100 feet about the river after all.

Daxton didn't mind.  He was happier than a clam.

Santa Claus came through and asked each kid what they wanted for Christmas.  Cambrie asked for a telescope.  

McKenzie asked for a surprise.  

Kelton asked for a monkey.  

Then as we left he gave each kid a small train ornament to hang on the tree.  The entire experience was endearing, I didn't want to leave.  We took some group photos outside by the train, but the kids were pretty chilly after being inside that cozy car. 

Isn't that scenery just beautiful!?

Trying to warm up around the fire.


 I'm glad Daxton's stuffed snowsuit works well!

This should definitely be one of our new holiday traditions-the Christmas train.

No comments: