Thursday, December 29, 2016

I'm radioactive

Yes, you read the title correctly.  I'm radioactive.  The last step of treating my thyroid cancer required me swallowing two blue radioactive pills this morning.  The nuclear medicine guys carried two lead canisters that weighed about 10 lbs. each from their lab that reminded me of mad scientists, then stepped away as I opened the glass vial hidden inside.  The pills look like vitamins but they're a touch more vicious than that.  I swallowed the pills containing I-131 and couldn't help but thinking this is insane to be putting this inside of my body.  They told me not to worry...but they also stepped to the far side of the room and encouraged me not to linger as I left the hospital.  One of the techs pulled out a geiger counter to show me how quickly the treatment began working.  I was already "hot" seconds after swallowing the pills.  It feels very weird knowing I can make anyone sick who walks close to me for too long.  I drove home and began my quarantine in the basement.  My sweet husband set up as much entertainment as possible in this small bedroom.  I have my phone, kindle, his iPad, access to Netflix and VidAngel, and the computer.  All of which we're going to have to figure out how to decontaminate or wait 80 days for the radiation half life to do its thing.  So the question is, am I going to survive living in this room for a week?  Jeremy has to prepare my meals for me before he leaves for work and I have a stockpile of low-iodine approved snacks but it's wild relying on someone else to supply all my meals.  Day one hasn't been that bad.  I spent a good hour browsing Facebook and watching the videos friends post of sparkling make-up and dancing bears because I have nothing but time to waste.  Now I'm working on updating my blog, sorting and editing pictures, creating Shutterfly projects, and I may even get started on my blog book for the year.  If you notice an onslaught of posts in the next few days you'll know that I really have nothing better to do.  I thought I'd be solo for a week, but the nuke doc told me today that the stuff is going to stay in my system for 80 days.  Agh!  Technically I'm legally able to go in public again after two days, and can have brief contact with my kids after seven, but I'm not 100% clear.  I just had to call my mom and Leesa in Utah who are alternating taking care of my kids, and had to ask them to watch them each a couple days longer.  I have a little baby.  I really don't want to inadvertently get him sick by holding him too much, so it looks like they won't be coming back until the 8th.  This means that I will be gone from them for two weeks total.  I've never spent that much time away from them.  I feel sooo bad, and this is just getting started.  I'm also going to miss McKenzie's birthday.  She'll make it through, but her sweet little heart is going to be hurting.  I really hope that those watching her will make the day special for her.  Meanwhile here I sit in comfy clothes, drinking gallons of water, and avoiding looking at the clock.  Stay posted for a lot of good Christmas-related posts!


My view for the next week...day one.  (Notice the beautiful flowers my husband gave me to cheer me up)

No comments: