Sunday, February 28, 2016

Laughter is the best medicine

By some miracle both boys were napping at the same time yesterday.  We had nowhere to be and I was craving some chocolate!  I saw a recipe that seemed simple and doable in the time I had...chocolate cake with dream frosting.  Yummy it looked good.  The batter prep went great.  I poured it into the two cake pans and stepped outside for a minute to help Cambrie with a scavenger hunt had she prepared for us.  When I came back in I thought I smelled something burning.  A little batter spilled over the edge, no big deal right?  Well, unfortunately when I opened the oven to check I caused the cakes to sink..sad days, but still tasty!  While the cakes finished baking I prepared the dream frosting and chocolate icing.  Yum!  I was so excited to put it all together.  The boys were still sleeping and I thought this was going to be the best afternoon ever!  Well, the sinking cakes proved to be more of a problem than I initially realized.  I sliced each one in half to create the multiple layers and soon realized that this was not going to go according to plan.  The dream frosting oozed, the cake layers slipped, and I felt like Fauna from Sleeping Beauty.  Just stay up!
  
I thought, "Hey, I still have the icing layer, maybe it will help hold everything together."  Ha!  What a joke!  By this time I was laughing and laughing hard.  The cake was an oozing mess and there was nothing I could do to keep it upright.  I took a picture to send to Jeremy at work because I was cracking up.  It was just so bad!
  

Don't worry, I still had one more layer of dream frosting.  I slopped it on and ended up on the ground laughing so hard I had tears running down my face.  Cambrie came into the kitchen wondering why her mom had lost her mind, then she saw the cake and understood.  The cake was not just falling one direction anymore, it was falling off in chunks on every side.  Frosting was pouring off the plate and there was no way to save it.  I still wanted to eat it so I did the only thing I could think of, I threw it upside down into a bowl and decided to call it trifle.  It was delicious!   #pinterestfail

No comments: