Sunday, February 12, 2012

Skiing girls

Thursday was another Rogers' family ski trip up at Eldora.  We decided that since McKenzie just sits at the bottom of the magic carpet watching us anyway, why not rent some skis for her and drag her along for the ride?  The plan would have worked perfectly if it hadn't been so windy.  The wind made it cold and McKenzie just didn't last long before she was freezing.  But before we pulled her inside the car to warm her up we went down the magic carpet four times.  I would lift her onto the magic carpet, she would stand for the ride up, then I put her between my legs as we cruised down the bunny hill.  She really thought it was fun and would have smiled had her face not been frozen, but she could still manage to cry.  She finally smiled again once her fingers, toes, and cheeks thawed. 

Cambrie on the other hand toughed it out and braved the cold to tackle...the chair lift! 

We borrowed our neighbor's harness for her and it made all the difference in the world.  I could use it to pick her up so she could sit on the chair and again when we got off so she wouldn't fall down.  I wasn't sure how much control she was going to have since this was her first time not being supported by Jeremy or myself, but I was pleasantly surprised.  The harness had two straps that I could hold from behind to help her turn in desperate circumstances, or pull her back to slow her down.  The biggest trick I had at the beginning was not pulling on the harness too hard as that pulled her backwards.  We had a lot of practice standing up that first run.  Later as Cambrie got faster, my challenge was not running into her with my skis....yes...I did that a couple of times. 

She loved going through the Fun Gully which was a small trail that had cardboard animals along the edges and a tunnel you could go through. 

Jeremy and I alternated back and forth watching McKenzie and taking Cambrie up.  It made it soooo nice that our car was just at the bottom of the lift.  Easy up, easy down.

I couldn't believe it when I looked at my watch and it was 3:30 and time to go.  I was exhausted but Cambrie could have kept going.  She was so proud of herself that she learned how to go on the chair lift.  I was proud of her too.  I had so much fun skiing with my girls!

No comments: