Saturday, July 29, 2023

Zion National Park

We took it easier-ish the day after the Subway.  After exploring a bit the night before (Lava Point Overlook)...

we finally found a camping spot near Lambs Ear BLM land.  The view was absolutely incredible at sunset.  We were so lucky to camp in such a great spot. 



 
The bugs were fairly minimal and our favorite guest as Billy the Beetle.  Apparently he likes lychee fruit.

We let the girls sleep in before making our way into the main area of the park.  

We were meeting the boys later that afternoon and had some time to kill.  Jeremy and I decided to hike up to Emerald Pools.  The girls were wiped so they waited at the bottom for us.  Jeremy and I sped hike that thing to get up and down as quickly as possible.  The trail to the Lower Pool was closed, I think we bypassed the trail to the Middle Pool, but we found the Upper Pool.  I don't know if I would call it "Emerald" Pool at this point in the season but it was still pretty cool.  The cliffs were pretty high and there was so much water seeping through the rocks to form these.  


What a happy little cactus field!

We made our way out of the park and started driving to meet Bruce and Leesa who had the boys with them at Lake Powell.  One of my favorite memories of the park is driving through the Mt. Carmel tunnel.  I just remember being entranced by the windows in the cliff tunnel and the roads that had been paved red.  It was gratifying to me that Jeremy and the kids thought it was as cool as I did.

When we finally got cell service we learned that the Rogers had been delayed and we needed to kill a few hours.  I had heard of a small slot canyon not far from where we were, Red Hollow Slot Canyon, and we decided to go check it out.  It was a short half mile hike in followed by a bit of scrambling.  There was one section we decided to gear up for to make it over.  It was good practice but a lot of work for the end of the canyon.  It wasn't very long but that was okay.  It was nice and cool in there which was a big deal considering it was 107 degrees out in the full sun this weekend!





No comments: