Saturday, July 22, 2023

Triple Bypass

I have gone from being intimidated by the Triple Bypass to it being one of my favorite ways to ride these Colorado mountains.  So when Jeremy said he wanted some redemption from last year I was all in.  Our crew this year included Chuck, Brian, Doug and Jerry (a fellow Jeremy met at Boulder 70.3).  The weather was going to cooperate again which was wonderful.  Knowing what to expect now I took off on the first climb a little stronger than last year.  I loved the climbs, I knew they weren't endless and more importantly I knew exactly where all the food was!  We moved within our group having a chance to visit with everyone as we made our way through the course.  There weren't a ton of crazy experiences to share, which is sometimes a nice thing.  We rode, drank, ate and enjoyed.  At one point we put together a drafting train.  I thought I was only pulling our group of five or six so when I pulled off to take my turn in the back I was shocked to see we had a train of nearly twenty riders!  They didn't all stick around but it was a ton of fun while it lasted.  The Triple Bypass isn't a race, it is a ride, but I admit that I love racing past everyone!  

Jeremy and I at the top of Loveland Pass


The race organizers moved the finish line from Vail to Avon, which doesn't seem like a lot but it puts on an additional eight miles to the end of the ride.  I was feeling it and was so ready to get off the bike.  I had not done a good job of fueling and was seriously dehydrated and nutrient depleted at the finish line.  Jeremy and I still had to do a 20 min run off which did not go well, we were so hot and tired-we worked hard on that ride!  Our crew decided to stop at a Maverick on the way to pick up some Slurpees which felt like heaven in a cup-ice cold sugar rush!  Nice work everyone!

No comments: