One of the camp rangers shared with us one of their favorite little spots, Huckleberry Hot Springs. They gave us precise directions on how to get there and said we'd love it. The water was so cold in the lakes that Kelton especially was looking forward to these warmer waters. We put on our suits and made the short walk to the springs. Well, it turned into a comedy of errors. We weren't sure we found the right spot. The water was hot, really too hot to enjoy. Horse flies started biting. We walked further downstream to find slightly cooler waters but all we found were more horse flies.
Everyone, pretend you're having fun!

As some walked downstream, I walked upstream determined to find this perfect spot we had been told about. As I tried to cross the stream, the log I was stepping on spun around and I fell hard on the bottom of the river. My knees were scuffed, the towels I was carrying were soaked, and the water was so hot that I felt myself roasting a little bit. I climbed out of the water and examined the blood trickling down my knees and from the palms of my hands. All sorts of stories about flesh-eating bacteria immediately came to mind and we decided to ditch the hot springs even without enjoying a nice soak. Maybe next time we'll research when is the best season to avoid the horse flies.


No comments:
Post a Comment