Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Norris Geyser Basin

As we made out way back to camp via the huge Yellowstone loop, we stopped at Norris Geyser basin.  Wow, we could have spent a half day at this basin alone.  As it was, we were running out of daylight and energy.  We walked to the beginning of the Porcelain Basin, enjoyed the view, and then walked to the other side of the basin to find Emerald Spring and Steamboat Geyser.  

McKenzie thought that Emerald Spring was made just for her.  She loved the rich color of the water (and the name of course).

At Steamboat Geyser the kids were convinced that McKenzie had some magic powers that would make it erupt.  It is extremely unpredictable, but when it does erupt, it shoots hundreds of feet high.  It would be very impressive to see, and I was crossing my fingers that we would see it in action.  We waited and watched for about fifteen minutes before I pulled them away.  


 I felt bad leaving the basin without exploring everything it had to offer.  We were simply out of time!

No comments: