To say that's it's been a wild lead up to St. George would be an understatement. We've been sick, in Puerto Vallarta, hosting birthday parties, attending graduations, and driving down to St. George. Look who we ran into at a potty break at a gas station in Cedar City, Nycole! Completely random huh?
It has been absolutely insane but we hoped that we had done enough to prepare for race day. The day before the race when we should have been scoping out the course, resting, and mentally getting ready, instead we were visiting the Kings who were in town so the boys could play. They had a sleepover and while it was a little rough at the beginning with an overly exhausted Kelton, they had a blast. I felt bad that Alysha had to experience the whole peanut allergy thing first-hand. That definitely gets the blood moving!
We also visited my best friend growing up, Ed. We were best buds through all of those awkward junior high years and somehow made it through all right. She moved away before ninth grade and we lost touch through the early marriage and grad school years. Well she and her husband moved their family to St. George about two years ago and it was a great excuse to go visit a long-lost friend.
While we chatted the kids played in the pool, doing flips, sliding off the slides, and enjoying their time out of the car. It was so great getting to see her again. 

Race morning dawned bright and early and Jeremy and I were pooped from all our traveling.
My goal was to be first out of the water and I was getting some pretty intense butterflies leading up to the race. I had some fast girls in my age group and it brought back a flood of memories from my swim team days trying to chase them down. I had my best Ironman swim yet, but I didn't know until results were posted if I took that Roka award or not. Unfortunately I took second in my age group by about a minute. Ugh! I had also made a goal to really push on the bike. I was nervous about what that was going to do to my run, but I also knew that the only way I'm going to get better is by being uncomfortable. As I pushed along-fairly speedily for me-I kept checking for when Jeremy was going to catch up to me. I was surprised that I didn't see him until mile 29 or so. He had a fantastic swim and was looking so great (like usual) on his bike. I wasn't as scared for Snow Canyon this year as my first year. The view is spectacular so I tried to enjoy it as I was panting up that 1000 foot climb. There wasn't time to relax up at the top however, I really had to focus on the fast ride down because the wind has started blowing pretty hard. I was just glad to have the bike over and done with no accidents. I was also really looking forward to seeing my family at T2. I later learned that they had seen me on the bike, but I had missed them. Seeing our cheering squad was the boost I needed to get ready for the run. Camille really had to chase me down to get this picture.
The run was hot and miserable like last time. My legs were completely dead. I don't know if it was the heat, the hills, or too much traveling but I had nothing. Every time I saw Jeremy he was smiling and having a great time. Apparently he was in as much pain as I was but had a little better race. It was the first time since Boston that I just wanted to walk and get the race over with. It was really a struggle to not walk and keep going. My run split was probably the worst half marathon I have ever run, but that's racing.
Jeremy final time (5:16:31), swim (34:27), T1 (2:53), bike (2:38:46), T2 (1:44-not bad for trying to steal the wrong runner's gear), run (1:58:41). Annette final time (5:52:10), swim (29:18), T1 (2:46), bike (3:03:03), T2 (1:29), run (2:15:34).
At the finish line I was so dead. I curled up into a little ball under a medical blanket and just wanted my bed. Ultimately I did go back to the hotel and it looks like everyone else had a blast while I was resting. We had a great support crew down there. My mom, Camille, Scott (old friend of Camille's), Alysha, Brody, Dantley, and the kids. Thanks everyone for cheering us on in our misery!



















No comments:
Post a Comment