Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Puerto Vallarta

Here's a pretty perfect progression from morning to afternoon-from spring snow storms, 

to palm trees waving.  

Jeremy came home from a work meeting a couple of months ago in disbelief that he was chosen to go on the annual Risas top doc trip.  He had earned the wildcard spot on this trip for his improvement over the past year, and I for one am hoping that we can make it on this trip every year.  "What?  You'd like us to spend four days here at this all inclusive resort for free?  I suppose we can help you out."  

It was beautiful.  That first night we wandered around the Inspirato resort enjoying the sand, the sunset, and the beauty of Puerto de Mito.  



Everything on this vacation was catered to reward the seven docs and their wives for everything they do for the company.  Our meals were catered by a personal chef who cooked and served us in our penthouse!  Our penthouse was one of three suites shared by the docs and it was larger than my entire house.  I should have taken more pictures of the luxury where we were staying.  This is the view from our private deck and infinity pool.  Gorgeous!  

I've always wanted to push this button!

We also hit the jackpot by meeting Dave Ryan and his wife, Jill.  Dave has been the top producer in the company for a couple years now, but he works in Arizona and Jeremy's never had a chance to meet him.  He and his wife were staying in our suite with us and we hit it off.  By the time we left four days later, I really felt like we found new marriage friends.  I think that had we met in dental school they would have been as good of friends as the Farnsworths-and that's saying something.  There was hardly anything on the agenda the whole weekend, except to enjoy ourselves.  

The first day Jeff rented a catamaran and we went on a cruise of the bay.  We rode out to the southern point of the bay and went snorkeling.  On the way we topped off with chips, guacamole, and as many pina coladas and specialty drinks as we wanted.  
(Kristy & Collin, Jill & Dave, Sara & Caleb, Ben, Rustin & Wade, Margaret & Whitney, Katie & Jason)

While snorkeling through caves and tunnels we saw jellyfish, rays, sharks, and dozens of other fish I can't identify.  We also went paddleboarding  off the back of the boat.  I'm a much better paddleboarder when I'm not pregnant.  Can you believe it?  This is the first tropical vacation I've been on as an adult where I haven't been pregnant!  It was glorious! 

 On the trip back the captain unfurled the sails and it was a beautiful view.  The waves were a bit choppy by this point and more than one of us were suffering from seasickness.  Not Jeremy though!  


Nausea or not, I needed a picture with my handsome husband.  

The next day Jeremy and I started our day by a run on the beach.  The sand was absolutely perfect running sand and I found myself thinking that even though I grew up in the mountains, I think I want to spend our retired years on the beach.  Jeff also gave each of the couples a day at the spa.  Ha!  Ok!  I can't think of much that beats a run on the beach, but a massage and various other spa-type pools just might.  Our couples massage room even had a fish tank in the floor!  Since St. George was coming up we asked the masseuses to get out all the knots they could find.  We made them sweat!  Both Jeremy and I woke up the next day like we had been beaten up, in a good way.  After our massages we ate lunch on the beach with our chilled coconuts and ceviche.  I don't remember ever eating ceviche before, but each of the seven ceviche dishes while we were down there were amazing!  

That afternoon we had planned on driving into Puerto Vallarta to do some shopping and see some sights.  It was a bit of a rush after our relaxing afternoon at the spa but that was fine.  On the way there was some type of incident that closed the main road so Whitney had to drive through some side neighborhoods.  It was a really poor area.  Jill was sighing and reminiscing because it reminded her so much of her mission in Argentina.  We weren't back on the main road long before we get pulled over by the cops.  Uh...shoot.  Luckily Whitney speaks Spanish and can talk his way out of almost anything.  The policemen came to his window and while I couldn't hear (or understand) what they were saying, later we found out that the cops were telling Whitney he needed to appear before a judge and schedule a hearing.  They asked him to step out of the car and at this point we are all pulling out our wallets wondering how much cash we had between us to pay off the cops.  Sure enough Whit stepped back to their patrol car and there was some kind of transaction.  He came back to the car $55 poorer, which really could have been worse.  Jeff was pulled over the next day and it cost him a cool $200.  



We were still giggling about the experience when Whitney started driving our huge van through the narrow, winding, steep streets of Puerto Vallarta.  We were almost hit by two jeeps, backed up into a parked car, went the wrong way down a wrong way street, and barely made it down a steep incline.  Who knew the adventures we could have in a 15 person van?  We spent a little time walking downtown before our dinner reservation.  There were some fun interactive sculptures on the beachfront that we took pictures with.  Jeremy had just been trying to block some other tourists behind me, but somehow I ended up with a seahorse on my head.  


One reason I liked hanging out with the Ryan's was that when we make obscure children character references about how this statue looks like Owelette from behind, they totally get it.  

This church's bells were chiming while we strolled.  I really like seeing all the little church's scattered throughout the town.  

When we arrived at the restaurant we were all a little skeptical.  It didn't look like much from the outside and we didn't know why we had driven all the way into town.  But after we knocked the secret knock and they let us in I could see why.  There was a beautiful courtyard with statues, candles, fountains, and architectural details.  






It was even better after we walked up the stairs to where the restaurant was located.  Look at that view!  We were able to watch the sunset as we ate our delicious dinner.  Even having one of the worst seats on our table so that the sun set directly into my eyes wasn't enough to ruin the experience.  Dinner was so tasty.  Can I please have someone make all my meals all the time?  



It was so sad that we only had half a day left.  Jeremy and I walked on the beach some more and tried to squeeze in one more swim to work out our sore massaged muscles.  We didn't have time for all of that though and suddenly it was time to go.  We couldn't leave without saying goodbye, and we ended up talking longer than we should have.  Out of the corner of our eye we saw the rest of our van leaving the beach to go load up for the airport.  Well we were still in our swimming suits, hadn't showered, and hadn't packed.  We ran off the beach to chants of, "Come on Rogers!" and dashed inside to furiously pack.  It's hard leaving paradise!  Maybe next time it will be our turn to ride on the private jet!  We are so lucky to work for such a great company.  Thank you Risas!

No comments: