Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter

The week before Easter we had a serious snow storm dump at least six inches of snow and spoil one Easter egg hunt.  I was crossing my fingers that we would have nice weather Easter weekend so eggs could be found and Easter dresses could be worn without coats.  Luckily it was a gorgeous Easter weekend.  Saturday morning Jeremy had to work so I took the girls to their egg hunts solo. 

The first egg hunt was our neighborhood hunt across the street.  The organizers had laid out hundreds of eggs and I think they intended to have a little kid and a big kid hunting sections.  But during the age division process the mob let loose and it was suddenly a free for all.  Cambrie can hold her own and I wasn't worried about her.  McKenzie had a hard time keeping in front of the pack and we had to rush to find some untapped areas.  Unfortunately each time she bent down to pick up a new egg, all of the other eggs would fall out of her basket and we would have to pick them up again before another kids came to snatch them.  It took a matter of minutes before the swarm of children cleaned up all the eggs. 

 
 
 

Since it was over so quickly I let the girls stay to play on the playground.  This particularly playground just had the toddler swings, but Cambrie didn't let that stop her.  She wedged her little bum into the seat and sat there happily while I pushed her.  They found that they were close enough to hold hands while they swung and it was their goal to stay connected as long as they possibly could.

Approximately an hour later it was time for our next egg hunt.  This egg hunt had a 15 egg limit which made the madness much more manageable.  In addition to their eggs, each child also got a prize.  McKenzie was drawn to a bunny sippy cup, and Cambrie found a little bead craft.  Once the kids were happily eating their candy the adults got to go on their egg hunt.  It would have been fun to have Jeremy there for this one because each adult egg had $20 gift cards, plus one $100 prize.  I love hunting for the eggs, not just because of the prizes inside but because I feel like a kid again.  I had just found my egg when I heard McKenzie wailing behind me.  She had wandered out in the field barefoot to come find me.  I picked her up and discovered that the bottom of her feet were covered in little prickles.  We sat down on the grass and I proceeded to pull out as many slivers as I could.  One of the guests had a pair of tweezers and he started pulling them out as I held McKenzie down.  She was pretty uncomfortable after that and we ended up going home early to count their loot.

Sunday morning the girls were up very early to see what the Easter bunny had left.  Jeremy and I had stayed up late watching movies and it was definitely too early for us to be hunting baskets, but we woke up anyway.  Cambrie discovered that the Easter bunny had left a trail of clues for them to follow to their baskets.  The girls were quick to solve the riddles and found their baskets in no time.  Jeremy and I on the other could not find ours!  We had to resort to clues and a game of "bula, bula" to find them.  Either we were still really tired or just had really well hidden baskets. 


Church came quickly and we dressed the girls in their new dresses.  I let the girls choose their material and pattern nearly a month ago, yet I sewed on the finishing touches the night before.  Once they were completed they looked like little Easter egg princesses.  They loved twirling in their dresses.  The problem was McKenzie's dress was too long, even with her high heels and she kept tripping on it.  I actually had to take a needle and thread to church and fixed some pulled stitches during the talks in Sacrament meeting.  The rest of the day we enjoyed our Easter candy, read new Easter books, finished reading our scripture Easter eggs, enjoyed an Easter feast, and relaxed.  It was nearly perfect.
 




No comments: