Tuesday, March 26, 2013

New "do," Damage-control style

I've always taken great pride in the fact that my girls are not very destructive.  For the most part they take care of things and I trust them with things like markers, scissors, pens, etc.  Well, that changed yesterday.  As I was walking upstairs to take a nap, because frankly I was just exhausted, I found what looked like hair sitting on the top step.  I picked it up and saw that it was McKenzie's hair.  I found more chunks of hair in the hallway that led me to her room where I found McKenzie at the bathroom sink with scissors in hand happily chopping away at her hair.  At first glance it looked like all she had gotten was her pony tail.  So I calmly took the scissors away from her and asked her if she wanted a hair cut.  She became very excited and said, "Yes!"  We started to set up shop in my bathroom when I realized it was worse than I thought.  Not only had she chopped her pony tail, but she had taken a off a few inches on the side and had gone all the way to the scalp in the back.  Laughing I walked downstairs to tell Jeremy that we were headed to Pigtails and Crewcuts to get McKenzie's hair cut. 

I don't know if I was too emotionally exhausted to be upset that day or if I realized that there was simply nothing I could do, but I laughed about it the whole way to the shop.  We walked in and said simply that she had given herself a hair cut and asked if they had room for us.  Luckily it wasn't busy and they fit us in right away.  Once the stylist had McKenzie in her airplane, we really assessed the damage to see what could be done.  Short, we would have to cut her hair short yet still leave some layers to hide the missing patch in back.  I'm glad I'm not afraid of short hair but it was still a shock to see about four inches of McKenzie's hair gone.  McKenzie sat perfectly still for her hair cut and was just happy to be there.  I was entertained by all of the hair cut stories the stylist had to share and realized McKenzie's could have been a lot worse.  After we came home and things settled down a bit, I found all of the hair I had missed before.  There were patches of it all over the floor in her bedroom.  I cringe to think what would have happened if I hadn't walked upstairs.  She would have kept going and who knows what kind of hair cut she would have now.  I guess it's time to hide some of the scissors huh?
 

2 comments:

This is me! said...

Oh dear. Every mom gets to experience this at some point! She looks cute with her new short do! And hair grows...

Natalie said...

You're much better than I am. I FLIPPED when Sadie cut her hair about a year ago. And hers wasn't even that bad - just a few chops at the front that kind of ended up looking like layers. McKenzie looks very cute with her new 'do, though, I must say! Way to rock the pixie cut!