Friday, February 11, 2011

Jeremy's birthday

Happy birthday Jeremy!  Yesterday he turned 29, just one year shy of 30...that seems like a magic turning point of when we are old enough to be adults (not that I'm looking forward to that).  Anyway, he worked in the morning which was perfect because then I could get everything ready for his party. 

I had to wrap his gifts, and as of 10:00, I only had his major gift.  But I thought that it would be a dead giveaway if there was only one wrapped present sitting on the table, so I wrapped some filler gifts too.  The mailman came right after lunch so I quickly wrapped another supplement gift.

For his cake he requested a fruit salad with mangoes and kiwis.  I know it's not your typical cake, but Jeremy's cakes rarely are.  Once I had a bowl full of mangoes, kiwis, pineapples. oranges, and blueberries, I realized that I had no good way to decorate this "cake."  I decided to try and make sugar number to put on top of the fruit.  (I think I've been watching too many decorating shows on Food Network).  I didn't know what I was doing, and my candy thermometer broke last week so I just kind of guessed.  It turned out not so bad.  I made molds for the sugar out of tin foil, and then just poured the extra onto a cookie sheet.  When it came time to sing Happy Birthday and blow out the candles, Jeremy just held a match behind the sugar and blew that out since a candle wouldn't stay straight in the bowl.  I didn't know what else to do with all that extra sugar candy, so I stuck it in the bowl with the numbers too.

When Jeremy got home from work, we celebrated instantly.  I had a feeling he would want his birthday present early in the day so he could spend the rest of the afternoon playing with it.  He started opening his gifts and unwrapped some P90X recovery formula, an orange, a banana, and a grapefruit.  He was very curious about his fruity-lishious presents until he realized the only thing missing from his fruit salad was an apple.  And then he unwrapped...his Apple iPad.   He was so excited.  And yes, he spent the rest of the afternoon playing with it. 

Before:

The banana.

 The grapefruit:  And he's realizing something fishy is going on here.

McKenzie laughing at her dad after she stole his birthday banana.

And the big kahuna...his iPad

I love my husband and everything that he does for me and my girls.  He has more patience than the rest of our family combined, and very often is the only level-headed in the house.  He works hard to provide a living for his family.  He helps me accomplish my goals and only mocks me when I do something really air headed and am able to laugh at myself.  He's working really hard to get in shape and I've been very impressed by his dedication these last few weeks.   And he's the best friend I've ever had.  I hope you had a fantastic day hun.  Love you.

1 comment:

Camille Thurston said...

I LOVE that picture of Kenz. What a goofy face! SO adorable though. Happy birthday Jer.