Sunday, February 13, 2011

Gifts, goodies, and getting in trouble

This is a random post about random happenings in our house the last few weeks.  Cambrie's Nana and Papa visited the Jelly Belly factory in San Fransisco and sent her a personal jelly bean dispenser.  She's in love with the peachy goodness. 

McKenzie got ahold of a handful of M&M's, and for some reason the blue M&M's just bled all over her face and made an ooey, colorful mess. 

I decided to sign up for the Disney Movie Club to beef up our movie collection a little bit.  We received our first order of six movies for only $30.  I was pretty excited about it and so was Cambrie.  Her 3:00 movies have become even more anticipated (if that's even possible). 

Whenever McKenzie becomes super tired and sad, she has a dramatic way of expressing her feelings.  She puts her head on the ground with her bum in the air, and just cries.  Cambrie saw this once and asked, "Mom, why is McKenzie doing down dog?"  

Every day when I check the mail Cambrie asks if we got a package.  She's obsessed with receiving packages in the mail.  This has been a great week because it's Valentine's Day.  Here the girls are revelling in the spoils from Aunt Lynnette and Aunt Lenesa. 

The most eventful thing that happened this week however, happened last night and we did not take a picture to record it.  Last night Jeremy and I went out to dinner for Valentine's Day.  We got home about 8:30, but by the time I took the babysitter home and the girls were ready for bed, it was about 9:00.  Cambrie was exhausted and started complaining about Jelly not laying just right in her bed.  She started throwing a huge temper tantrum.  I pulled McKenzie into my room to try to rock her to sleep, while Jeremy tried to get Cambrie to calm down.  He was holding her on his lap to make her hold still until her fit was over.  She was extremely upset and was screaming things like, "Help me, Mommy!" and "Let me go!"  We share her bedroom wall with the neighbor next door and I always wonder what he can hear during her fits.  Well, as soon as she calmed down and climbed in bed we heard a knock on the door.  Jeremy opened the door to find a policeman standing on our porch.  Oh goody.  He said that he had been called by the neighbor across the street because he could hear a two- or three-year-old girl screaming for help.  The officer wanted to talk to Cambrie to make sure everything was okay, so I went to get her out of bed.  As soon as she saw who wanted to talk with her she started sobbing and buried her head into Jeremy's shoulder.  The officer just asked if she was okay and wanted to know why she was screaming so loudly.  As soon as he found out that it was because she didn't want to go to bed, he seemed to understand.  But before he left he took down all of our information for his report.  I felt like we were being reported as criminals.  He tried to explain to Cambrie that he was glad she was okay and that if you really are in trouble it is a good thing to know that help will come.  She just wanted to go back to bed and the officer left.  So my question is: have any other parents been visited by the police because your child is throwing a huge fit?  I wonder how many reports like this the city receives, I can't imagine we're the first; although I definitely hope it's our last.

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Woah! That's like my worst nightmare coming true. I always, always worried that our neighbors would think we were abusing our kid after the fits Sadie would throw. But no, it never actually happened. What a story to tell, though!

nathalia said...

I second that! Always have been worried about neighbors reporting us. Madeleine is SO loud. But glad to know you got through it! Happy Valentine's!

Ashley said...

Ok, You are not the first. Although it was not in Colorado, Angi, my sister had a visit much like yours except she was very upset about the whole ordeal You will have to go to woodfamilyjournal.blogspot.com and search for "Independant Play, a Felony." I am sure it will make you feel better...hopefully!

Rachel said...

oh no! that had to be fun.....but rest asured, I'm sure you're not the only one! kids, gotta love 'em

Matt, Calli, & Dixon said...

Nope....you are not the only ones! We actually had a cop come to our place last summer cause Dixon was screaming about going to the bathroom, he would hold it in till he was in so much pain.....long story....anywho...it totally sucks and made me want to crawl in a hole, but on the bright side it stopped him from screaming anymore cause he knew he was in trouble!!! Sorry that happened! Maybe she won't throw fits anymore!!! :0)

Tamar and Trevor said...

That is awful!!! I am sure that if we did not live in such a big house with my in-laws when Emma was that age we would have had a similar expereince...she has an amazing set of lungs. SO glad that is behind you and maybe it will cut down on the tantrums :)

Eric and Caralee said...

OH NO!! I'm sorry I can't relate (yet) but I've definately held my breath a few times when Lilli is having one of her massive melt downs! She had a huge one a few weeks ago at the grocery store and a lot of people were staring...