Saturday, August 26, 2023

Lahti 70.3 World Championships Day One

Good morning!  It is race day number one for the women!  We had grown used to an early morning fog at the swim start these past few mornings so I wasn't surprised to have fog on race morning.  It meant we had a lot of time to wait.  A lot of time to decide if I was nervous or not.  It was a world championship but I wasn't feeling predatory.  I was feeling too chill and I wish I had been ready to slay the race.  


This race start was a little different than others I am used to, we dove off a dock.  Watching the pro women dive off was awesome.  




I just hoped that my goggles would stay on during the dive.  I executed a near perfect dive, if I do say so myself, and my goggles stayed put.  I was a little off on my sighting during the swim and missed the lead pack.  I came out fifth which was just okay.  I sped through transition and was out on the bike.  It was such a great course!  It was gently rolling which meant I could always keep power on my pedals and I was flying. I was pushing the best watts I've ever pushed in a 70.3 and was feeling pretty fantastic.  Unfortunately that only lasted the first half of the ride and then I started to fade.  I wasn't able to keep my speed or power up and started falling back down the rankings.  


I have always relied on my better than average run to keep my position.  Unfortunately there are a lot of better than average, and excellent runners at a world championship, and my run was not stellar.  I lost so much ground.  The run was hilly with steep descents that killed my quads.  I was not prepared for that.  My kids haven't been to my races in awhile and I love the extra boost it gives me to see them out on course!  






Ultimately I was only feeling ok about my performance.  It was a shame because it was such a beautiful venue and an amazing opportunity I wish I could have really taken advantage of it.  Top ten was 4:40, but I feel like top 25 should have been an given.  I was five minutes out from that.  The competition was so tight and I need to remember that at a world class event, there is no room for mistakes.  Tomorrow is Jeremy's day and it will be fun to be the one on the sidelines cheering.


Swim 29:24, T1 4:00, Bike 2:36:57, T2 3:47, Run 1:42:12, Overall 4:56:21  

No comments: