Thursday, August 24, 2023

Aurinkovuori Hill

We needed some lunch after exploring the eskers, and I thought I found the perfect picnic spot, Aurinkovuori Hill.  It required climbing 239 stairs, and at first the kids were not supportive of this idea. (After all, there was a perfectly good fire ring at the bottom of the stairs).  But once we made it to the top they changed their minds.  


Everywhere in Finland there were public fire pits stocked with woods, strikers, and even hatchets if you need more wood.  The kids spent a lot of time splitting wood, baking apples, and generally playing with fire.  








There was also an observation platform where we could over look lakes Paijanne and Vesijarvi.  I've seen a lot of lakes but this one really was pretty special.  




This used to be the site of an old ski jumping hill.  As I looked down the slope I couldn't help but admire the ridiculous bravery any athlete had back before safety was a thing!


We spent over an hour on top of that hill and it reaffirmed all of our feelings of why we love Finland so much. It is so green, so peaceful, so quiet, and so willing to share its beauty with everyone.  Favorite group pic of the trip right here!

No comments: