Saturday, September 11, 2021

Time for meets!

Last year we were simply grateful that GU was able to find a way to let these girls compete, even if they were just at their gym with just their teammates.  This year we finally get to compete with other teams again.  I wasn't sure if the gym really was crazy, or if we just weren't used to the craziness, but there were so many gymnasts there!  The girls on our team definitely took notice, they were nervous.


  I was really worried when beam was their first event, because they didn't have time to settle their nerves.  McKenzie was the first one up, and that was even worse!  She's one of the most solid girls on beam so I know why they put her first to get the girls off to a good start, but I was still nervous!  I haven't had a chance to see any of her level five routines yet, so it was fun to watch something new.  She stayed on and completed all of her skills, and finished with a smile.  Ultimately she ended up placing sixth because of her beam score, so that was fabulous.  


Her vault and floor went well, even if her scores weren't what she was hoping they would be.  (I wish I had a camera with a better resolution, because I think this picture is kind of fun).  


On bars she missed her second kip and came off the bars.  She was disappointed about that and it definitely affected her overall score.  Frankly I was just proud of the girls for completing this meet and shaking off the cobwebs.  It's been such a crazy year for competition, and I think the rest of the season will go great.  


After the meet both McKenzie and I were hot and tired.  We stopped to get a hamburger and shake to celebrate a job well done.  I can't wait to watch her thrive this season.

No comments: