After Cathedral Cove we drove down the shore to hot water beach. There is geothermal activity near the surface here which means near high tide all you have to do is dig a hole in the sand to get your own hot tub! It sounded so cool and worth the experience. Something I forgot to look up though in all of my researching, was what time high tide was! When we got there all we saw were giant abandoned holes. If it dug my feet into the sand I could find some warmth, just teasing me because it was out of reach.
I did find one with a bit of hot water in it, and it really was warm!
I decided to lay down in the hole anyway and pretend it was full of warm water.
It was remarkably quiet and peaceful down in that hole...at least until a fellow beach goer and hole digger accidentally dumped a bucket of sand on mine and Jeremy's head! He only spoke German and tried apologizing, but it was just too funny.
After that we decided to climb the rocks to get a better view of the beach. I can just imagine how great this is when the water is there. We would have had to wait an extra hour and a half though. We still had a three and a half hour drive to Taupo and couldn't stick around that long. It was a fun, memorable visit though!







No comments:
Post a Comment