Monday, January 21, 2019

Keystone Surprises

The miracles of modern medicine!  Just four days ago I had surgery on my eyes.  Today we are up skiing at Keystone and I can see!  We decided that I should still take it easy, so Daxton and I hung out while Jeremy took the other three kids up on the mountain.  Daxton really wanted to go "ice skating."  No matter how many times I told him we were skiing, he kept saying that we were "ice skating."  

For the first part of the day we hung out on the bunny hill.  We both rode the ski lift up, then I simply carried him down the hill on my hip.  He loved making big "S" sounds as we turned down the hill.  We went over and over again.  It's amazing that kids don't wear out when they're being carried up and down the mountain.  I on the other hand...  

We went to the lodge when we thought the big skiers would be back for lunch.  As we were munching on our sandwiches, Jeremy called and asked if I had the Tolley's number.  What?  No, I don't.  We went to school with the Tolleys in Philadelphia but they have moved around a lot since then, and most recently have just returned from Japan.  Why on Earth would he need their number?  The only answer I received in return was that Jeremy had their girls and needed to get ahold of them...then he hung up.  Now I was completely confused.  About five minutes later Marc walks into the lodge with McKenzie and Sophie!  Come to find out the two guys had run into each other in the bathroom, recognized each other, and they and the kids had been skiing together all morning.  Both Cambrie and Madelyn, and McKenzie and Sophie were close enough in skill level and age that they got along great and were having an amazing time.  By the time everyone showed up for lunch it looked like those four girls had been friends for years.  They were having so much fun skiing together that they almost skipped lunch just so they could get out on the slopes.

  Daxton and I rode the gondola up to the top of the mountain and met them at the snow castle.  We all played tag for awhile, and enjoyed the slides until they were ready to ski some more.  






By the time Daxton and I rode the gondola down he was exhausted.  However, I didn't think he was so tired that he would fall asleep on the short five minute shuttle ride from the gondola to the lodge.  When I got back to the lodge I didn't know the best place to lay him down, so I just plopped him onto the table.  He napped there soundly until we woke him up about an hour and a half later.  

When it was time to leave, the girls really didn't want to go.  They were clinging to their new friends and even the promise of dinner and ice castles weren't enough to get them to leave peacefully.  I'm glad that they had such a good time.  


I still can't believe we ran into Marc and Natalie up there!  We haven't seen them in nine years.  What a great surprise!

No comments: