Today, if all goes well, will be the last time you will see me in these glasses. Jeremy gave me Lasik for my Christmas present this year, and the surgery is tomorrow. I've wanted Lasik ever since I heard about it, but it's always made me a bit nervous. I have astigmatism which complicates things a little bit, but it sounds like the doctors are confident enough in the technology and their skills that it shouldn't be an issue. My contacts and glasses have never been a huge problem in my life. I picked up my first pair of glasses when I was in seventh grade, and graduated to contacts about a year later so I could still see while I swam. Ever since then I've just kept up with the appointments and prescriptions, and just dealt with life as normal. There are times though where I have longed for perfect sight: laying on the roof of the house boat at Lake Powell and not being able to see the stars that everyone else could see, camping and hoping that I don't roll over and squash my glasses at night, when my kids come into my room at night and I have no idea which kid it is, when I'm sitting in the optometrist's office hearing, "better or worse?" over and over again, when it's late at night and my eyes are just exhausted from the contacts, when I'm traveling and need to make sure I don't forget all of my supplies, when I'm crawling over the bathroom floor and I can't find the contact I've dropped, when I have to ask my kids to find my glasses because they've fallen under the bed and I simply can't see them, when I can't wear glasses and sunglasses, when my contact falls out during a race and I have to run the rest of it half blind, and when the contacts just hurt because they've been torn or they're dirty. I'm going to be free of all of that. Does the idea of a laser cutting my eye open make me a little nervous? Naturally. True, the doctor is very good at what he does, but there are always mistakes. I just hope that by this time tomorrow, or at least in two days, I'll have the vision that I've waited years for.

No comments:
Post a Comment