Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day picnic

Today for Labor Day we headed up to the canyons above Boulder with some friends for a little creekside picnic.  For some reason I didn't think about actually camping this weekend, so a quick trip today up the mountains would have to suffice.  There were friends for all of us as we ate lunch and played in the stream.  We went with the Mowers, Hamblins, Andersons, Williams, Smiths, and Schaumanns. 

The water was cold but not enough to turn away Cambrie and Jeremy as they went hunting for shiny rocks in the stream bed.  They came home with a pocket full of glittering rocks. 

McKenzie was content to hang out by me and just pick up rocks until she saw them in the water and she just had to join the fun. Luckily there was a small area where the water was shallow enough for McKenzie to wade in safely and she could throw all the rocks she wanted.  

She and her friends splashed and played in the mud until their feet were numb.  They spent a lot of time standing on this beam to try and warm their feet up some.  I admit, I also spent a lot of time standing on that beam too. 

When I tried to capture my girls playing in the water, Cambrie insisted on being silly and turned away every time I pulled out the camera, but I did capture this cheesy smile. 

This picture I'm including mostly for laughs.  One of our friends' little boys fell in the water only minutes after we got there and ran around in his underwear the rest of the afternoon.  When it was time to go, all the kids were soaked to the bone and could have just as easily been running around nude. 

And this final picture is for Jeremy's sake.  There was a very large and very creepy spider hanging around near our picnic site...the kids thought it was great....myself, not so much.

No comments: