Our trip to the park yesterday turned into much more of an adventure that I bargained for. While the girls were climbing on the playground and having a grand time, I was reading a book and visiting with some other women. I heard McKenzie crying, looked up and saw her laying face down on one of the playground platforms. It looked like she had just tripped and fallen. But even after I picked her up she kept crying and crying. It was the kind of cry that let me know she was really hurt. I watched her to find out where she was hurting. She kept grabbing at the left side of her neck and she would complain about her left arm hurting when she tried to raise it to get a drink out of a water bottle. My first thought was a broken collar bone. I didn't see her fall, but I saw how she had landed and it was very possible she had landed on her shoulder without bracing herself at all.
We called our park day short and I went home to call my friend who also happens to be the girls' pediatrician. I just wanted to know if I should bring her in or not (because I don't like showing up with nothing wrong), and Danna told me to bring her in. I still had my doubts at the doctor's because McKenzie had stopped crying by then and was using her arm. She complained some when we moved her arm around, but not significantly and I began to think her shoulder was just bruised. Danna had us go downstairs to get some x-rays just in case, and when they came back....yes, her left collar bone was indeed broken. Instead of a nice straight bone, it looks more like a mountain peak.
So now the poor girl must wear a sling for the next few weeks and just get used to being in pain until it heals. We've started to realize that there are a few things McKenzie can't do right now: climb up on the couch, climb down from the couch, climb into her chair, crawl like a puppy, pull herself up with two arms, climb up the stairs, hang from the monkey bars, lift a heavy sippy cup, or raise her arm so we can get her dressed. We also have to carry her a little bit differently because we can't lift her from under her arms. Getting her in and out of her car seat is also a little tricky. But she's been a trooper. She lets us give her medicine and for the most part she's kept her sling on. She even smiled for me when I got out the camera to take her picture. Now it's just a waiting game for her collar bone to heal :) Unfortunately this all happened during a busy moving week too...ah, just what we all needed.
4 comments:
oh, poor thing. Broken collar bones hurt!
The house looks good! Congratulations!
Oh, how sad! But, these things happen with kids. Peter broke his collarbone showing off for girls. It will be better before you know it.
Oh, how sad! But, these things happen with kids. Peter broke his collarbone showing off for girls. It will be better before you know it.
Oh, how sad! But, these things happen with kids. Peter broke his collarbone showing off for girls. It will be better before you know it.
Post a Comment