Thursday, September 22, 2011

Jabberwocky...not so much

McKenzie is 20 months old.  About this same time I wrote down all of the words that Cambrie knew-the list was very long (507 words actually).  But I can't compare my two girls because they're just so different-McKenzie can actually run.  Anyway, here's the list of words that McKenzie can say.  Some of them you have to listen to with "mommy ears" but I know she knows what she's saying:

all done
ball
bubble
buzzz
cat
cheese
cup
Daddy
doggy
down
duck
eye
fish
Grandpa
grass
hat
hi
lawn mower
Mommy
moo 
moon
night-night
no 
ore
owie
Papa
roar (anything scary sound)
rock
shoe
slide
snack
splash
sssss (snake sound)
star
stuck
tow
truck
uh-oh
up 

Yes, the list is only 39 words long, but she's learning so I'll stick with that.  She can understand everything though.  Yesterday she wanted a bag of goldfish, but I told her she already had a open bag of goldfish downstairs.  So she turned around, walked down the stairs, and grabbed her open bag.   I won't be sorry when her vocabulary improves though, because grunting only works for so much.  If anyone knows sign language, feel free to stop by and teach me everything because that seems to be working.  We know a handful of words that we use when she can't make the words, but my vocabulary is extremely limited and I don't know what else to teach her.

2 comments:

bobandhaley said...

I would say that is pretty good for 20 months. My boys are 2 and still only say about 3 words, although they know all the animal sounds and are starting to learn letter sounds... that does not help with communication. She is doing great.

Tara said...

If you want a suggestion on sign language I use the Baby Signing Time dvds with Marleigh and she loves them. Everything is set to music and it focuses on signs that kids need most. We really enjoy them and she loves being able to communicate even if she doesn't know how to say the word.