Thursday, October 22, 2009

NYC: Girls Only

My mom came to visit this weekend and since Camille has been dying to go to New York, we took a quick girls' trip to the big city. Here's a play-by-play of our adventures:

We rode the subway a lot. (I never knew being pregnant was really that tiring). Cambrie loved riding the trains but sometimes got a little bored while waiting for them to come.Our first stop was the American Museum of Natural History. Cambrie and I planned on spending our time at Central Park while my mom and sister went to the museum, but we were super lucky and they weren't charging admission that day. Surprise! It worked out great because Cambrie still got to spend some time on the playground, but I still got to see what I wanted to see without paying for it. There was only one exhibit that I was really interested in, and that was the woven spider thread tapestry. I think it's insane that this is spider silk. Beautiful isn't it?We spent the rest of the afternoon wandering through the town. When we passed by Tiffany's, we couldn't resist stopping. I've always wanted to go inside but I didn't think it was "allowed" if you weren't a real customer. But to my surprise, the sales associates and the elevator attendants were funny and very welcoming. We checked out the wedding rings on the second floor and I was in heaven. They were all so sparkly! Camille asked to try one on and it was gorgeous, if not ridiculously expensive. I didn't dare to do the same. I was sure Cambrie would pull it off my finger, lose it, and I'd be in serious trouble. But I still enjoyed drooling over everything. Here we are posing with our non-Tiffany rings (and dreaming about the day we may actually own one).Next stop; FAO Schwarz. I didn't know what to expect when we went inside, I just figured that Cambrie would enjoy a store she could actually run around in. We found the giant piano, and yes, we played Chopsticks on it. One little boy fell down while he was playing and gave himself a bloody nose. Unfortunately that is all Cambrie remembers about the whole experience. Ask her about the giant piano, and she'll tell you about the boy who fell down and had blood on his face. Oh bother. Another stop we made just for Cambrie was M & M World. Cambrie is obsessed with M & M's. When we first strolled into the store she was nearly asleep, but as soon as she saw where she was, she perked up and couldn't wipe the goofy grin off her face. Cambrie and I headed back to the hotel while my mom and Camille went to see Wicked. I was super jealous--sigh--but I guess that's what I get for being a mom. I'm glad they loved it and had a blast.The next morning we woke up bright and early to go to the Today Show. I have always wanted to go, so I was super stoked we were able to. We saw Matt Lauer and Al Roker. Yippee! We even made it into the segment where they interviewed Cheers character, Norm, about beer (great segment huh?). Okay, if you watch the footage you can barely see our heads because we're kind of little, but we made it! My mom and Camille had never experienced the giant cupcakes before, so we stopped by Crumbs Bakery and picked some up. My mom's was a raspberry swirl (very tasty), and Camille opted for the Oreo. I brought home Jeremy's favorite, Red Velvet, and I had a pumpkin one. Yummy!Later we visited the Guggenheim Museum. We got lucky and it was another free admission day. Man, how lucky could we get? It was crowded, but oh well. My favorite exhibit in this museum was the golden curtain. Picture a room that has 20 feet high ceilings, 50 feet long, and 20 feet wide painted white. Then picture a golden curtain hanging in the middle of the room strung entirely of golden beads. On the other side of the curtain there was a 3 feet by 3 feet square of gold leafing sitting on the floor. Kind of strange, but the curtain was so much fun to walk through. Cambrie kept running through it and play peek-a-boo. Simple pleasures.We took one final walk through Central Park before heading home. What a great trip.

7 comments:

Alissa said...

Aww how fun!!! Those cupcakes look amazing!

Kate said...

How fun! I can't wait to move to DC, NY weekend trips seem way more plausible. Maybe we will get more visitors that way too.
I would love to go to a taping of the Today Show, I watch it every morning. Didn't see you though. bummer.

teresa said...

so fun annette! what a wonderful trip with the girls. i live for days like this!

This is me! said...

Wow! Looks like you had SO much fun!!

sara cardon said...

What a great trip!! NYC is the best in the fall. I liked the Cambrie story about the boy who fell on the piano keys and got a bloody nose. Sounds like something Lucy would also be fascinated by.:) I thought I was done with NYC, but I think I may need one more trip before we leave!!

Mike and Amber said...

Yet more stuff for my to-do list!! Looks like you guys had an awesome day!

Nycole said...

So jealous!! It sounds like you had tons of fun.