Wednesday, January 1, 2025

Northern Lights Spectacular

We were surprised and more than a little relieved to learn that the one and only hotel/restaurant open in all of Myvatn was cozy and comfortable.  For the first time there was not secret door or flights of stairs we needed to navigate.  It was just a normal hotel with private patios that led right outside.  We had only been in our rooms for a few minutes before we looked out of those patio doors and saw the Northern Lights starting to appear.  They were starting out so much better than the first ones we saw.  The green was nice and bright, and the ribbon was easy to see.  


As we sat admiring the green lights dancing in front of us, I turned around and saw a red light over the hotel.  I looked up and saw that the Northern Lights had given us a corona!  Colors were dancing all around us now, green, purple, red, and a little bit of blue.  I've never seen colors like these before, they were absolutely incredible!  As we were trying to capture the moment with our cameras we couldn't believe the additional colors the film picked up.  If I never get to see the Northern Lights again, I had this one glorious night.  






The girls were out there with their cameras and smiles from ear to ear.  What a gift!


Northern Lights Memories

Kelton: The best northern lights in the history of the world. They were the best I’ve ever seen. I didn’t even know you could be in the middle. I thought they would be like rainbows, always seeing them in the distance.

Daxton: The lights didn’t even look real.  It looked really awesome but sadly I couldn’t take pictures of them.  It was awesome being right in the middle.

Jeremy: I could have stayed out there for hours and hours not even needing a coat. It was so surreal. My favorite part was watching Cambrie and McKenzie looking up in awe.

McKenzie: It was gorgeous! There’s not much to say because the pictures speak for themselves.  It was magical.  I’ve always wanted to see the northern lights.  The pink and the blue were insane.

Cambrie: My hair froze again.  Got some cool flicks. Daxton ran into a lump. I explained to Daxton how the northern lights happen.

No comments: