I wanted to make sure that the kids had a variety of memories from Iceland and not just waterfalls. So when I saw the sled dogging excursion I immediately booked it. I knew that by this point of the trip the kids would be missing Moki and could definitely use a pet-induced dopamine hit. I didn't expect that we would all get the same joy as Cambrie at seeing these beautiful dogs. The kennel we went to is family run. They've been sledding for over ten years and own 33 dogs. They took us on a tour of the kennel introducing us to all of the dogs and showing us how they train them, feed them, and each of the litters they've bred. The doggos looked so happy and excited to see us. We were given additional warm coveralls to wear then were able to play with the dogs while we waited for the sun to rise. (The coveralls along with my allergy meds I took beforehand gave me some sweet dog allergy armor). These dogs love their cuddles! We got a feeling for each of their personalities pretty quickly and knew which ones were the cuddlers, which ones were the most excitable, and which ones wanted to go to work. The dogs that weren't coming on today's run were definitely jealous of being left behind.










After harnessing the dogs we climbed aboard two sleds and were off. I couldn't believe the power in these dogs. We launched forward! Even when there was a hill these dogs pulled us up like it was no big deal. The owners have a couple different trails on their property that they use depending on weather conditions. All the dogs needed was a simple Icelandic, "left," or "right," and the whole team would turn on command. I know that's what they're trained to do, but it was still impressive that they know their rights and lefts better than my kids!
There were a few time we stopped to let the dogs cool down and to take pictures. During those time there were dogs who just wanted to keep going. They love it!
The biggest of us were able to take turns mushing from the driver seat. Man, that would be fun to know how to do this.
When we came back to the kennels we helped unharness the dogs and play with them some more. Nott quickly became attached to me and never went too far. She was definitely my favorite dog. I can't say enough how much fun we all had doing this!






Dog Sledding Memories
Cambrie: They were so cute. There was one that looked like a
corgi and I loved him so much. They were
such cute little lads. I wanted to hold them all and they were adorable. But they were employed and didn’t like being
hugged while they were employed. I don’t like being hugged while I’m employed
either so I don’t blame them.
McKenzie: I Loved the dogs.
We got to stand on the edges and help steer. It was really cool because the dogs knew what
to do and where to go and they genuinely enjoyed doing it. My favorite was a small dog that looked like
a corgi. They were just happy little guys.
Kelton: We need the puppies! I want to go back and steal
them. They were adorable. I wanted to
spend a whole day just cuddling with them. They know their left and right better
than McKenzie.
Daxton: They were super energetic and I really liked them. They really enjoyed pulling the sleds. I liked
wearing a dog mask and looking like a dog.
Jeremy: I wish I could’ve mushed behind the dogs more. But I realized how much more skill it took to
do so.
No comments:
Post a Comment