Our last official stop on our crazy whirlwind road trip was Devil's Tower. It is in the middle of nowhere, and our route was taking us probably about as close as we would ever be to this really cool destination. We approached it from the backside, and it really stands out on its own.

As we drove closer we were able to see the details of the vertical cracks that run up it, and the sheer scale of the tower.


We parked and decided to take a trail that went around the entire perimeter of the tower. It was paved which made for a simple walk, but my kids decided to turn the entire path into lava and decided instead to leap from rock to log to avoid being burned on the ground.







We found a small family of deer eating dinner. They were calm enough that even though they were on the path and we moved slowly towards them, they didn't bolt, they simply walked off the side of the path and continued munching. We also found a woodpecker looking for food. He also allowed us to get pretty close and admire what he was up to.



Towards the end of our loop we decided to scramble across the rubble field back to the beginning. My kids are little mountain goats. I was having flashbacks to the last time I walked across a boulder field. When Cambrie was only a few months old Jeremy and I went exploring in Pennsylvania and found a boulder field. I was carrying her in the baby Bjorn in front of me and I slipped and started falling face first towards the rocks. Not wanting to squish her I performed some fancy twisting movements so that I landed full on my back, but at least Cambrie landed on top. Luckily nothing like that happened this trip. I had a hard time keeping up with the kids who were moving so quickly!


It was definitely worth the detour to visit!

No comments:
Post a Comment