Saturday, August 24, 2019

Trampoline story

The trampoline has been a huge hit this summer.  McKenzie and Cambrie love practicing their flips and tricks.  Kelton and Daxton love running around playing silly games.  And they all love it when Dad comes out and launches them into the air.  Sometimes those kids FLY!  



As the summer came to an end, we realized that the kids never had a chance to sleep out on the tramp.  Jeremy and I loved sleepovers on the tramp as kids, so we hauled out all the comfy stuff and set up camp.  As it grew darker we sat there playing hot potato and telling silly stories.  When it was finally dark enough to go to sleep we settled down and waited.  While it's true that Jeremy and I have fond memories of sleeping on the tramp, it's also true that we have just as many memories of not sleeping that well on the tramp: rolling towards the middle into a giant heap, being cold, sprinklers coming on, but we weren't about to tell the kids that.  Once we were positive that the kids were all sound asleep we snuck up to our own warm comfortable bed and fell asleep.  

In the morning I heard the boys downstairs around 6:30.  Not bad for a night out.  I went to investigate further and found that McKenzie gave up around 11:00, Cambrie made it until about 4:30, and the boys made it all night.  I was impressed.  

But as we were getting the kids dressed I started to panic a little as I saw all of these red marks on Daxton's face.  His face, neck, arms, and legs were covered with red dots.  Oh no..chicken pox!?  I lifted up his shirt and saw that his back and belly were clear, so it was just mosquito bites.  Kelton and McKenzie came over too covered in bites.  We started counting.  I counted 100 on Daxton, 65 on Kelton, and McKenzie said she found 90.  These poor kids!  Cambrie faired a little better because she had worn long sleeves and pants, but she also had more than I ever have at once.  I have a feeling that if we sleep out again we are going to need mosquito netting, candles, spray, and anything else we can think of to keep those pesky bugs away.

No comments: