Friday, January 5, 2018

McKenzie turns 8

Today is the day that McKenzie turns 8!  I remember thinking when Cambrie turned 8 years old that she was so old!  I couldn't believe I had a daughter who was old enough to be baptized.  Now that I have another daughter who's 8, it still isn't any easier to wrap my head around the fact that she keeps growing!  Her birthday was a pretty simple affair.  She chose french toast and a breakfast smoothie for her birthday breakfast, then we opened presents first thing. 

It was a good birthday for the girl.  She has more books to read about castles and princesses, a new earring tree, some make up just for her, a new gymnastics leo, and a mermaid tail to pull out when it's a bit warmer.  

Grandma even made her a special bag to carry around all of the shiny things she owns.  She owns a lot of shiny things.  I can't remember if I've told about McKenzie's Niffler or not.  But between the two of them they find shiny things everywhere they go: school, the store, parking lots, the gym, soccer fields, home, parks, and hanging out on the sidewalk.  This bag will come in very handy.  

After presents we took the whole family to see the movie, Coco.  Some of us had seen it down in South Jordan earlier that week, but others were gone or sick that day and we didn't mind going again.  It is a great movie with a fantastic message about the importance of family.  Naturally we went to go visit Grandma Johnson and Grandpa Jay afterwards.  We visited and helped with some things around their apartment.  McKenzie couldn't help but notice a princess crown Grandma had sitting on the counter.  Grandma had been queen for the day at Pioneer Valley Lodge along with the other women in the home.  She gave her crown to McKenzie as a special birthday present for the princess.

I'm so proud of the girl she is growing into.  I don't think I've met someone with a sweeter heart and such natural nurturing skills.  We're incredibly lucky she's part of our lives. 

No comments: