Thursday, March 6, 2014

2 Wheels and 2 Pedals

Miss McKenzie has been on a Strider bike for about a year.  She is so comfortable on it that it's ridiculous and can fly at crazy speeds down the hill from school.  Now that we are occasionally getting warm days with no snow, I decided to pull out the bike with pedals to see if she was ready for the switch.  So I plopped Kelton down on a blanket on the grass and hoped he wouldn't find too many interesting things to eat while I helped McKenzie.  It took a couple of times up and down the sidewalk for her to learn that she needed to keep her pedals moving around and not to move them backwards.  But after only about ten minutes of practice she totally got it.  I couldn't believe (well, actually I can) how quickly she picked it up.  It was time to go pick up Cambrie from school and I knew I was taking a risk have a student driver on the sidewalk with all the students, but we risked it and it was awesome.  That girl rode her bike all the way to school and back with no problems.  Now she asked every day if she can ride her purple bike.  She still hasn't crashed.  She is now comfortable with the brakes (sigh of relief).  And now she can keep up with Cambrie as they ride around the peanut.  The experience of teaching your kid how to ride a bike is so sweet.  They are so proud of themselves and I can never take enough pictures to capture the moment.


No comments: